let's talk stroker

UTGAMER

Feb 26, 2010
Dalton, GA
I know what yall are thankin, this guy needs to make up his MF'n mind!!!

Most of you talked me out of the 351w and got me thankin a stroker may be best way to go.

SOOOOOO

Whats some good kits? (REMEMBER MY 35-4K$ BUDGET)

How much HP gain will I be lookin at?

Im stock except MSD Distributor/ignition system. Bassani X pipe non-cat
and a cai

First of all Im still scared to stroke b/c worried to death engine will break, crack, etc

So I should prob get a stronger block I know, but what if I cant? Guess thats a risk Ill have to take huh

Was also told I should get better heads

Should I go with a 331, or 347. And how far of a bore is each before it can be either or? Seems 331 would be easier on block cause it would be less taken off?

I found this, dunno how good it is, but would be nice to find a kit like this

Dyno Proven 347 500+ HP CNC Heads Complete Package

Anyway would like to hear yalls thoughts, opinions and experiences

• Sponsors (?)

the difference 331 and 347 is not due to a difference in bore, it is due to a difference in stroke (now far the piston moves). they are both based on the same cylinder bore: somewhere between 4.0" and 4.003" (diameter).

a 302 has a stroke of 3", a 331 has a stroke of about 3.3", while a 347 has a stroke of about 3.45"

for reference, a 351 has the same size pistons, but a stroke of 3.5". a 408 has also the same pistons, with a stroke closer to 4.1"

a stock 302 block will survive just fine with either if you do not put a supercharger on them.

might as well go with a 347, the cost is the same and it delivers more of a punch.

for heads and an intake, i would start browsing the corral classifieds, there are usually some good deals there.

the difference 331 and 347 is not due to a difference in bore, it is due to a difference in stroke (now far the piston moves). they are both based on the same bore 4.003" diameter.

a stock 302 block will survive just fine with either if you do not put a supercharger on them.

That should be 4.030", or .030 over. Just a typo I'm sure. :)

That kit you linked to looks like a carb'd race engine. It makes peak power at 7100 rpms. I don't know much about solid flat tappet cams, but I'm pretty sure they're better suited for race cars than street cars.

What are your goals for the car? DD? Weekend toy? Track car? I'll assume it's a weekend toy for now...Just throwing some parts together:
CHP 347 stroker kit = $1k
Machine work on the block = $300-800
TF or AFR 185 heads = $1500
Custom cam from FTI = $300
Edelbrock Performer RPM II intake = $600
Injectors, TB, rockers, push rods, gaskets, and other misc. parts will probably add up $1k - $1500 easily
Long tubes? = add another $600-1k

It adds up quick. :( But, that should be a pretty stout combo, 330-350rwhp NA. Depending on the cam and how high you rev it, could be good for 400+rwhp.

Those prices are all new, you could save a bunch buying used stuff.

Don't forget to add a new harmonic balancer and flexplate/flywheel depending on how the new kit is balanced. Sotck 5.0 are 50oz imbalance. The 327 stroker I have is a 28oz imbalance so I needed flywheel and balancer. Some kits are internally balanced to so both are needed again.

I bought a CHP 327 longblock with AFR 185 heads in 02 or 03($3900.00 with shipping). I needed balancer($220.00), flywheel($380.00 for the aluminum Fidenza I bought) and a gasket kit($?). You probably will need new valve covers($120.00) also, my factory ones wouldn't fit over the bigger rockers so then I need a intake spacer($50.00) so my throttle body wouldn't hit the valve covers.

Then since I wanted to do right the first time I added a new RAM clutch($400.00), trickflow track heat intake($400.00), 30lb/hr fuel injectors($200.00 from ebay) and a 80mm mass air meter($200.00 from ebay).

Long Blocks - Ford 347 Long Block High Performance Engine

It was well worth the money in the end. I can destroy the tires in 2nd gear at about 30mph roll. It runs 12.00 at 115mph in the quarter. Saving for a turbo kit now then for a new block after that.

You're not building a 347 from the ground up with a $4000 budget, so you can scratch this idea until you save more cash. Your budget is maxed with just heads and the shortblock. It's do-able IF you reuse all your stock parts but why would you?

Here is the thing you have to come to terms with too. That's fine to go that route but unless your 100% sure that your going to finish the block off in the long run. The point I'm trying to make is dont put all the money into a stroker engine if you just end up running mostly stock parts in it. You probably have enough to do the block work, buy a set of heads and the stroker kit but your $3,500-$4,000 wont go much beyond that. Your still going to need exhaust, cam and intake and few more odd's and ends. Just realize what the total cost is going to be before you go and have the block work done and buy a stroker kit. The cheapest route would be to fix whats wrong w/ your 302 and keep it as that and its fine that you want to make more power and go bigger but I'm just saying make sure you know the total cost and that you are prepared to do it b/c doing a half way done combo wont give you the results you want and you will have thousands dumped into it.

Just my opinion, for a daily driver I would stay as close to stock as possibly. Stock rebuilt bottom end, or forged rods/pistons if you can afford them, AFR 165's, stock cam or mild aftermarket cam. Cheap used intake like a cobra or edelbrock performer. Shorty headers. You'll probably only make 260-280rwhp, but it'll be a reliable fun engine that's reasonably priced. You can always add boost later and make 400+rwhp easily.

Here is the thing you have to come to terms with too. That's fine to go that route but unless your 100% sure that your going to finish the block off in the long run. The point I'm trying to make is dont put all the money into a stroker engine if you just end up running mostly stock parts in it. You probably have enough to do the block work, buy a set of heads and the stroker kit but your $3,500-$4,000 wont go much beyond that. Your still going to need exhaust, cam and intake and few more odd's and ends. Just realize what the total cost is going to be before you go and have the block work done and buy a stroker kit. The cheapest route would be to fix whats wrong w/ your 302 and keep it as that and its fine that you want to make more power and go bigger but I'm just saying make sure you know the total cost and that you are prepared to do it b/c doing a half way done combo wont give you the results you want and you will have thousands dumped into it.

AMEN!

It ALL adds up quick as others have said, even if you go the used route. Also, are you sure the person helping you out with this is up to the task? As you have said in previous posts, you are very green with this stuff. You could ruin alot of expensive stuff in a hurry if you are not careful. Not that I am trying to discourage you, I would love to see you put together a bad azz small block and have some fun, but this could turn into a nightmare as well if you are not careful. If you only have 3-4K to spend, you certainly are not going to be able to afford to fix mistakes. I don't personally think 3-4K is going to build this right. It's all the supporting pieces that are going to kill you.

So, please make sure you have this all thought thru before you get much farther. I do wish you the best of luck and will be watching for more updates.

Just my opinion, for a daily driver I would stay as close to stock as possibly. Stock rebuilt bottom end, or forged rods/pistons if you can afford them, AFR 165's, stock cam or mild aftermarket cam. Cheap used intake like a cobra or edelbrock performer. Shorty headers. You'll probably only make 260-280rwhp, but it'll be a reliable fun engine that's reasonably priced. You can always add boost later and make 400+rwhp easily.
this is very good advice. it fits the budget, is daily drivable, and can be improved upon in the future.

:cheers:

BTW what cam and intake would be needed? And what heads? Plan on 347 point me in right direction yall.. Hear a lot of talk about cams messing idle up. Ill get all pricey parts 1st then cheap later and tear it down and rebuild when Ive collected it all. Or at least wait for cam. then intke work should be easy...... Also read the the HO 302 engines are good??? This is what I have

If your going to do a 347 a good intake would be the Edelbrock RPM II or the holly systemax or the Trickflow track heat intake. A custom cam would give you the best results for HP and driveability but is also the most expensive. As far as an off the shelf cam I'll let someone else comment on that b/c Im not to sure myself what would be best for a 347

I am just going to re emphasize what everyone else here has already said. A good stroker kit is around $2K. That doesn't include machine work or H/C/I. If you got $4k to spend, I would just to a 306 rebuild with stock rods and crank. Spend the money on the heads/cam/intake. That's where the power is made. Adding stroke does not have a huge effect on total power, but more on where that power is made. If you have $4K to spend, and you spend $3500 (the minimum to make a decent stroker short block), you're going to end up putting stock heads and a mild intake on it. You'll end up with a 250hp stroker motor. If you do a basic rebuild on a 302 with a Trick Flow H/C/I top end, you're going to have a 350hp stock stroke engine. Just pointing out, that power is made on the flow components, not on the displacement components. If the budget is that tight, spend it on the top end.

Kurt

The worst parts on a 302 are stock heads and intake.

A bone stock 5.0 for our cars is rated at 215 hp. That is .711 hp per cubic inch. Assuming you would gain exactly that much by stroking it with the stock stuff back on the motor you would get a whooping 32HP.

However if you put a new set of pistons and maybe rods in your old block and get a H/C/I kit you would easily gain 100 hp.

so hci would do me better than a stroker kit? Whats the point in stroking then lol? Also is most of this as simple as bolting on besides cam?

Bigger cubes will make more power overall but only with the right parts. I know you are being tugged all over the place as far as what you can do the problem is there are just lots of ways to make more power but its simple math and that math when it comes to modding is $$$$ + Parts = More Power. If you take out either one of those you don't make the power and the amount of power comes down to how much $$ is spent.

If you have 4K you wont be able to build a 331-347 with H/C/I. If your dead set on doing the stroker you can do what you can for now and finish off the H/C/I later on but just be damn sure you plan on fishing it off or your going to have an anemic stroker engine that you already have thousands put into.

I know its hard to decide what to do. Truthfully fixing the 302 and putting on H/C/I using a custom cam and doing good size heads like 165cc and a good matching Intake would net you at the 300 RWHP mark. I know you may have said it before but what are the goals you want with the car? Is it a specific power level? You need to figure out what the goal is with the car and build it around that before you start throwing loads of money at it.

I know you may have said it before but what are the goals you want with the car? Is it a specific power level? You need to figure out what the goal is with the car and build it around that before you start throwing loads of money at it.

+1 Bazillion

I have been beating this dead horse for a couple weeks on your different posts. Make sure you know what you want and how you are going to get it done before you spend anything! Otherwise, if you are just looking to throw money away, you can use the trash can in my kitchen:D

so hci would do me better than a stroker kit? Whats the point in stroking then lol? Also is most of this as simple as bolting on besides cam?

Air Flow Research

On a properly built engine a 331/347 stroker will gain roughly 30-40rwhp over a 302. Stock e7's on a stroker will be a truck engine with massive torque and peak power at 4000 rpms.

The benefit of a stroker is that you can use bigger parts to make more power and still maintain good driveability. Most people consider 1rwhp per cube to be good for street cars. More than that you start sacrificing driveability. I have 420ci and 450rwhp. I would go nuts if I drove this car every day, but I can live with it as something I only drive a couple times a week. Another year playing with the tune and I may get it driving like stock though.