Lets Talk Tires!

• Sponsors (?)

Eos said:
My guess/dream was 200 hp.... I got 140 "runs off crying"

You can raise your rwhp figures quite a bit by doing small things. Make sure the engine is getting exactly what it needs, when it needs it, in terms of fuel and ignition. Underdrive pulleys and any other means of reducing parasitic losses will help, too.
After I tune a car for friends, they take it around the block, and when they return, they can't believe the difference in power. It feels like I did something major to the engine, like swapped components, when all I actually did was give the motor what it wanted.

Addicted_2_II said:
Anyone have a magic bean to put in the gas tank to gain 100HP :nonono:

Well now that I am building a slug... Why even finish :bang:

Do you at least think it will beat my buddies 02 GT stock engine with exhaust & Chip?

Chad

The magic bean = aftermarket aluminum heads + perfectly matched camshaft. Right out of the box, a big increase in power.

You're not building a slug, you're building a street motor, and 240rwhp from a stock-headed 306 incher on pump gas is nothing to laugh at.

Most likely, you'll do well against him, because your car is lighter, and probably makes more torque, especially with the higher compression.

I agree with Blue Thunder in terms of RWHP. I was going to say 235-245 range.

Just for referance on your buddies GT, I usually dyno 99-04 GTs at about 225-230 stock. With a cat back and a GOOD tune, they should be about 240 ish.

I think it would be a good race.

When you go to the dyno, make sure you ask for air/fuel numbers. That's what you need to see, to determine if you need any jet changes. I tune lots of carbed cars on my dyno, and you'd be surprised how much HP you can pick up from proper jetting.

CobraIILover said:
When you go to the dyno, make sure you ask for air/fuel numbers. That's what you need to see, to determine if you need any jet changes. I tune lots of carbed cars on my dyno, and you'd be surprised how much HP you can pick up from proper jetting.
That is good to know! Thank you for the info CobraIILover!

I have drive his 02 and it is fast but just does not seem to have the torque... When you get the rpm way up there it has some balls but not before!

I am about to take my MII out for it's first road test! I have the video camera all ready... Not sure if it is going to ride in the car with me or not, we will see!

Chad

Addicted_2_II said:
That is good to know! Thank you for the info CobraIILover!

I have drive his 02 and it is fast but just does not seem to have the torque... When you get the rpm way up there it has some balls but not before!

I am about to take my MII out for it's first road test! I have the video camera all ready... Not sure if it is going to ride in the car with me or not, we will see!

Chad

I think those cars have factory 3.25 gears. (I know my friend's 94 GT did) You want more umph at the bottom end, drop in some 4.10 or 4.30s and the 'Stang will have plenty of torque. :)

My Mustang has a similar set up to yours though the cam is a little smaller(XE 262) & I run an Auto with a stock convertor & 3.00 gears in the rear, I race on 245/60x14 BFG's & usually run 14.6's just to give you some thing to aim at!
On the Tire front, Hoosier list a 275/55x14 Quick time that should work better than the BFG's a buddy of mine ran em on a Camaro over here & was very pleased with 'em. heres a link to the Hoosier page.
https://www.hoosiertire.com/Drtire.htm

Addicted_2_II said:
I could not find any 4 lug 15" wheels??? And new 5 lug rear drums are not cheap at all! I would love to go with 15's if I could find some wheels that would go with my setup???

Chad

1985-1993 fox Mustang 10 holes or 87-? turbines will fit on the rear of a II without spacers. I scored two crusty 10 holes for $20.00. They are not even in the same neiborhood as light though :D I have 225/50/15 drag radials for the wheels. I have not mounted them yet because I am planning the 5 bolt swap for bigger front brakes and 15" chrome magnum 500 wheels this winter? :drool:

Mustangj said:
I have crappy cyl heads, but I found a cheap way to get an extra 100hp. The magic is not cheap though $60 for 10 pounds worth of magic. The best ride $60.00 can buy for 3.5 minutes this side of a strip club though :nono:

My motor was built to handle a healthy shot of nitrous, but as of yet, I havent done it. The compression's a bit high to run a huge fogger, but I could always add a small secondary fuel tank full of race gas to shoot in with the juice.
I've been true to my "all motor" moto so far. The first time I lose, the bottle will be in the car the following day, though. :)

02 GT Dyno today

My buddies 02 GT, that has light Mods, dyno'ed today at 256 HP & 294 lb torqe! I sure hope my little ole MII can keep up with it!

When we brought it in it was making 251 HP so he only gained 5HP but his Air/Fule ratio looks much better. He was running way to lean! 14.6 to 1

Car pulls and sounds (not sure why but...) better! I think they also slightly advanced the timing!

I took video an pictures, I will post them as soon as I get a chance to edit them!
Chad