Life expectency of a super charger

willys1

Dec 2, 2003
New Jersey
Whats up 5.0's, Im looking into getting a small, 5psi boost super charger.I did some reading about the super dynes,and they just dont last more then 10,000 miles.what about a paxton, or a super charger!! Could I get 50-75,000 miles out of one.If I did go for the small one could I keep the stock cam????

• Sponsors (?)

I have no idea what a super dynes is but with 5 PSI a paxton should last you much more than 10K miles. I personally have an Eaton M90 that has 140K on it w/o any problems.

uhh...I think you mean Powerdyne man and I've never heard that they don't last more than 10,000 miles. The good thing about Powerdyne is that, if they break, you can get them rebuilt for a lot less than other superchargers. There are a lot of superchargers that are made for stock applications, so you wouldn't have to change your cam. Any 5psi s/c will prob. let you keep your stock cam. Powerdyne's are self-contained meaning you don't have to tap the oil pan to install, which is what a lot of people like about them. Some people have problems breaking belts when using a Powerdyne, but i'm not actually sure why. When I got my car, it had a powerdyne, but I didn't get to drive it enough to actually have any personal opinions on them.

You don't "have" to change your cam with any s/c either... and they should last more than 10k miles. With a powerdyne you basically can't run any more boost than what its meant to put out, or it will probably break the belt, with gear driven ones you can change the pulley without worrying about anything.

89Notch said:
You don't "have" to change your cam with any s/c either... and they should last more than 10k miles. With a powerdyne you basically can't run any more boost than what its meant to put out, or it will probably break the belt, with gear driven ones you can change the pulley without worrying about anything.
I read the forums for the powerdyne, and I gotta tell ya,75% of the people werent too happy,yea you can rebuild them for 688.00 ,but every 10,000 miles!! Thats why I was interested in a different company.

I like Paxton/Vortech (same company now). I'd say a Vortech S-trim or Paxton NOVI 1K or 2K are the most reliable blowers on the market, at least in my experience. I don't drag race, but I do a lot of road racing/autocross and I've never seen an S-trim or 1K/2K fail unless they were defective from the factory or abused.

stang1989 said:
I like Paxton/Vortech (same company now). I'd say a Vortech S-trim or Paxton NOVI 1K or 2K are the most reliable blowers on the market, at least in my experience. I don't drag race, but I do a lot of road racing/autocross and I've never seen an S-trim or 1K/2K fail unless they were defective from the factory or abused.
Thats encouraging! How many miles on an average could I expect to get out of one,in everyday driving with a pretty much stock motor,with the occasional beating!!

I think you should be more worried about the life expectancy of your motor making sure its properly tuned and not detonating with the S/C than the expectancy of the S/C...

89Notch said:
I think you should be more worried about the life expectancy of your motor making sure its properly tuned and not detonating with the S/C than the expectancy of the S/C...
By the way,yea if I got a srtonger spark going and everything else,I heard in 1993 they changed to a Hypter.... piston,are thses strong enough,I know there not good with nitros,but how about supercharging?

My Paxton SN'92 is still going strong after an honest 100k. first owner put it on and the second got it at 21k. Now it's still there and pumping out all it can at 129k.

IMHO I'd look into a self contained unit. I know Vortechs are good, but I've heard too many horror stories of launching a motor and the scrap metal taking out the blower too. That's why Procharger went self contained. The Paxtons are decent blowers as long as you don't over rev them.

Jamie

ComfortablyNumb said:
any opinions on Prochargers? They have self contained units and most are intercooled.

There very good Superchargers, Ive been doing alot of Reading about them and research on them. Ive heard alot of good things about them. They come stock w/ 2 core intercoolers and you can upgrade to a 3 core for around $275. And no tapping the oil pan and there alot more reliable then Powerdynes.

I think you maybe confused, the selfcontainted sc's oil usually last 10k miles before you have to change. not the sc itself, your best best is to get a sc that taps the pan and uses the motor oil rather than changing it out.