Life of a mustang after built, before in my hands...

SillyStanger

Apr 8, 2005
My stang is locked-in for production next week and I'm curious about a couple things:
1. How long did it take you to get your Mustang after it was built?
2. What does the dealer do with/to it before it's in my hands??? i.e. Do they generally give it a wash and wax or possibly a full detail??

(Also, if anyone has any thoughts on the extended warranty or financing that'd be nice... curious about how much negotiating down extended warranty and whether ford's financing is the way to go... at this point in time, going to walk in with an e-loan ready to go) Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

It took only 10 days to get mine from the point of when it was fully built. When it arrives at the dealer, they wax it, wash it, clean it up inside/outside. Be careful that they don't put it out on the showroom floor though, because I know that my dealer did that with someone else's when they got it in.

As for the extended warranty. Look around on the internet. I went down that road twice and finally discovered that some of the TPAs (Third Party Administrators) of the plans can be real treats to work with. Some will find any reason to deny a claim. If you get one, check the TPAs rating and customer service record. Read the fine print. Some will require fluid and maintenance schedules above and beyond what Ford requires. If you miss just one, they can deny the claim. If the inception date of the warranty period overlays the 3 year 36,000 Ford warranty, it is a waste of money since a 5 year warranty really only extends you 2 years and it can cost upwardly to $2,000 for a 5 year extended warranty.

Sometimes, it is just better to bite the bullet and pray nothing major happens. If it does, put it on a credit card and pay it off as soon as possible. Financing a $2,000 extended warranty that really only provides 2 years of extension is compounding interest for the entire term of the vehicle loan.

As for your financing, if your e-loan has a comparable interest rate, then go with that. You have a better chance at obtaining a better rate on the 05 Stang. If it was a Taurus, I'd say check with Ford Finance, but the 05s are not going to budge much.

I did pick up the service plan, at least I don't have to worry about paying for maintenance for 2 years or 30,000 miles, and since this is an initial design product release, I felt it better to get all the service documented for the first few years.

Now, to just get that baby home safe and sound.

Jennifer

I checked into extended warranties myself. I am able to get 6year 75000 miles Premium Care Extended warrenty for about $1030. Which would be an extra 3 year 39000 miles beyond the factory warrenty. The Premium Care warrenty is basicly a bumper to bumper warrenty. My dealer also offered my an Extra Care 6 year 75000 mile warrenty for $815. That warrenty doesn't cover alot of the electronic features for example safety items, radio, emissions, etc. Your dealer should have brochures explaining each plan. Dealers also make money off of these extended warrenty plans as well, so they are negociable. My dealer told me he was giving me these prices at cost, I doubt that but they are reasonable prices. I hope this helps.

It took 2.5 weeks from production date until my 05 gt vert showed up in San Diego.

As for extended warranties, be careful as there are a lot of excluded items. I passed on it myself. On average, they dont make economic sense If they charged less for the warranty than the average repair cost over that period they would be out of business.

One way to look at it is you are buying incremental coverage above and beyond the standard warranty. So ask yourself: Do you think your total repair cost (of the items that are covered) after the regular warranty runs out will be higher or lower than the cost of the warranty? If you are notorious for having bad luck with car reliability then maybe you should get one. However, if you trust statistics, then take your chances, cause chances are you'll be money ahead not buying the warranty.

Ditto on the extended warranty. Make sure to read the fine print if you decide to go with it. I opted not to go for it when I bought my 04 GT because the cost outweighed the risk. Since the 05's are completely redesigned from top to bottom, I was thinking about getting the extension this time around (just in case).

SillyStanger said:
My stang is locked-in for production next week and I'm curious about a couple things:
1. How long did it take you to get your Mustang after it was built?
2. What does the dealer do with/to it before it's in my hands??? i.e. Do they generally give it a wash and wax or possibly a full detail??

(Also, if anyone has any thoughts on the extended warranty or financing that'd be nice... curious about how much negotiating down extended warranty and whether ford's financing is the way to go... at this point in time, going to walk in with an e-loan ready to go) Thanks!
==========================================================
My 05 Mustang GT had a build week of 12/13, and when I checked on the 15th I got a message that said 'as of 12/14 vehicle shipped by convoy with an ETA week of 12/25'. I got the call around 10:30 on the morning of 12/28 that the car came in, and I picked it up after work.

Before taking delivery the service department had to inspect the car and wash/wax the car. When I got to the dealer the car was parked up front next to other cars for sale. After I checked out the car I went inside to take car of the paperwork while the dealer had someone fill the gas tank for me.

Since I refinanced my house I was planning to pay cash for the car, but I ended up having to pay for the balance of the lease on my old car so I decided to order lojack and an extended warrenty on the car...and I was able to payoff that amount so now I'm waiting for my title to come in.

Mike McRann said:
==========================================================
My 05 Mustang GT had a build week of 12/13, and when I checked on the 15th I got a message that said 'as of 12/14 vehicle shipped by convoy with an ETA week of 12/25'. I got the call around 10:30 on the morning of 12/28 that the car came in, and I picked it up after work.

Before taking delivery the service department had to inspect the car and wash/wax the car. When I got to the dealer the car was parked up front next to other cars for sale. After I checked out the car I went inside to take car of the paperwork while the dealer had someone fill the gas tank for me.

Since I refinanced my house I was planning to pay cash for the car, but I ended up having to pay for the balance of the lease on my old car so I decided to order lojack and an extended warrenty on the car...and I was able to payoff that amount so now I'm waiting for my title to come in.

Just a few questions for you Mike. First, I was just wondering where you live so I can get a rough idea of distance vs. time to deliver. Second, how much did the lojack cost? Thirdly, do you know how much of an insurance decrease you get with the lojack installed if any? Thank you.

My '03 actually arrived at the dealership on the Tuesday of the scheduled build-week.

Obviously, it was built earlier than scheduled. :D

I still remember getting a voicemail message from my salesman. I thought he was just calling to confirm that my car was being built that week. I already knew that, so I was in no rush to call him back.

When I did call him later that day, I was totally blown away when he told me that my car was in!