Fox Lift struts / shocks for 93 Cobra

neilc88

Apr 11, 2006
Hi all,

I hope you are doing well. I need some new lift struts for my 93 Cobra. I saw Strong Arm # 4686 listed from my ride. Has anyone used these? On my Excursion I went with longer ones to get the lid higher. Can longer ones go on?

• Sponsors (?)

I think the lid height is limited on the hinge so you don't crunch body metal. I have sold Strong Arms before, never had a problem. I just bought my last set of ebay, and they were fine too.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,

I hope you are doing well. I need some new lift struts for my 93 Cobra. I saw Strong Arm # 4686 listed from my ride. Has anyone used these? On my Excursion I went with longer ones to get the lid higher. Can longer ones go on?

I have a lot of experience with these struts. I try to avoid all companies that are made in china. They simply don't last. Some will last days or weeks or a few months, but that's it in my experience. Especially bad if you drive the car in colder weather. There are companies that make them here in the US. The only issue is you may have to search for different keywords. As far as getting longer struts.. you can pop off your struts and see if the hatch will open higher. If it does, simply add the measurement to the overall length. I just don't know where you're gonna find them if you look in typical mustang part stores or distributors. You'll probably have to look for other products they are used on and find the correct length and lbs. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Guys,
I went with the Strongarm's and very pleased. My inside button release now works.

Also, my lift gate is 2.5" higher!

Yes, no more hits to the head. If you have a hatchback you have to get these!

Guys,
I went with the Strongarm's and very pleased. My inside button release now works.

Also, my lift gate is 2.5" higher!

Yes, no more hits to the head. If you have a hatchback you have to get these!

Do you have a link to the ones you purchased? And with it going up higher, the top of hatch is still not making contact with the frame? Seems the higher the hatch goes, the closer it would come to hitting and damaging paint?

When changing my struts a couple years ago, I over lifted my hatch and lid hit roof and made nasty dent. I cussed a new language in that instance. I used some wood paint sticks, some gentle flat body hammering, a lot of patience and now unless you are looking for it you will not notice anything. I was very impressed with myself.

I would definitely agree you do not want to go too long with the lifts.

Roof.jpg

Pic taken long after the repair. It was driver side that got damaged.