Lifter Oil-hole positioning

timk

Founding Member
Jan 8, 2002
st.louis, mo
there is an oil port on the side of a typical 5.0 hydraulic roller lifter.

does anyone pay attention to which direction this port is facing when installing lifters?

example: one way has the oil port facing down toward the cylinders, the other direction has the oil port facing up toward the lower intake.

i have asked this of several knowledgable people, and have gotten both answers.

what do you say?

• Sponsors (?)

Yes timk..i replied to your other post, the lifter hole must face inward towards the lifter valley. There is an oil passage in the block that supports the lifter.....now that you know...what do u think your ticking is...??

Thats kinda weird...i have taken 2 motors down, never apart, and the holes have been in ramdom positions???? I questioned it the first time, and then the next motor was the same...and i watched for it as i took it apart...I have yet to see a manual that makes mentioned for the positioning on reassy??

see what i mean? it makes sense that the lifter should go in a certain way....but when most knowlegdable people are asked....they don't agree!

i really WANT that to be the answer. do you know how easy it would be for me to get in there and change it???

sirsureshot, i want you to be right.

Remember, on solid rollers and solid flat tappet cams, we run oil restrictors to keep the oil in the bottom end and starve the top end. These don't make that much noise, and if properly adjusted make very little.
Read your other post, couldn't find it. Check compression on the thing, maybe a bent valve, hung valve, compression may indicate it. Also this is a stuid stupid question, are the wires on correct? Two wires switched may idle very good, however may cause a knock, or ping because of firing at the wrong time. Sorry, had to ask, I wish I was there.

have dealt with the lifter noise. machine shop sand blasted the block and the oil feed passages weren't very clean. needless to say never deal with that shop again. the oil holes make no difference as have seen them in random order even on chevy stuff. when you checked is the rocker loose. are you using polylocks on the rockers. if so then make sure after you tighten the set screw to tighten the nut a tad more to make sure the set screw is locked up good. also raise the hood at nite and look for wire spark off of wires or around plugs. sounds just like lifter noise.

it dosent matter actually. just a matter of preference in the person doing the assembly. regardless of the loction of opening the lifter still gets pumped up when running.
just some engine builders have a preference of installing it with the opening faceing the valley for the purpose of extended oil retention in the lifter after pressure bleeds down and when sitting for prolonged period of time.
theroetically with the hole faceing up the oil level will be higher in the lifter itself and faceing down it allows more of the oil in the lifter to drain back 2 the pan.
thats why they offer certain types of lifters with check valves for less lifter noise at cold start up.
im sure most people have started there car on a cold morning have experienced lifter noise..........well its just a personall preference us engine builders have.

yep...! It doesnt matter!! solid and flat tappit Hydra lifters actually spin in the lifter bores !! the lifter has a slot , the engine has a bore and no Matter where the Hole in the lifter is facing... the oil is there and goes in the lifter!! Restricters are to keep oil from the upper end of the engine, usually by restricting the oil that goes to the lifter passage. On a few solid lifters the oil hole is up real high on the lifter body and there needs to be slot cut in the lifter so at low operating rpm ( like street) oil will get to the valve train... but all that isnt applicable to the hyd roller. Holes dont matter which way they point!

Just me.......................

Thumper

before i built the engine, i poured over every lifter-installation guide i could find. there was never even a reference to the bloody hole being there. i figured if it meant the possibility of valvetrain noise, possible lifter starvation, and general owner anger, there would be a big section on it. chiltons, haynes, ford's own 95 service cd, crane cams website, nothing...

thank you for your answers. now i can look elsewhere.

WELL THIS IS A LATE ANSWER...Sorry
But the lifter oil passage is supposed to be facing the lifter valley. The reason is a simple gravity one. yes you can run them backwards due to the groove the the oil runs around in but the hole facing the upward direction helps for when the pump & lifters get tired. sorry the answer is years late...but maybe someone else will have the same question and get some reasoning for the hole direction now.
Oh and I usually dont get a chance to check back on old threads if you have something to say to me please e-mail it so I can get a chance to respond. Thanks!

The hole doesnt matter because hydraulic flat tappet lifters spin and the roller lifter although doesnt spin is the same basic design with a wheel on the end if that where the case they'd say that it matters when retrofitting a block with the roller lifter setup. I've built many engines and it doesnt matter at all. if it where a case of gravity then why do we have oil pumps to add pressure to move the oil? the lifter valley has a direct feed from the oil pump to supply the lifters and the non machined groove around the lifter is what traps the oil to lubricate the bore the direct feed keeps the oil there