Lifters not getting ANY oil

10secgoal

Dec 1, 2003
San Diego
It's driving my up the f'ing wall. The clack from the lifters made me pull off the cover. I tried to prime the motor and no worky. The oil filter has oil in it now. And the pump is bringing up the oil psi to 80. All of the lifter are just mush. I can push them down with the pushrod no problem. WTF ?!?!?!?!:bang:

• Sponsors (?)

You didnt mention it but sounds like a rebuilt engine? ( oil pump is now primed)
Take the lifters out and set them in a coffee can overnite with oil, then re-install them.

hmmmmm

all Hydraulic lifters can be pushed down with the Pushrod, it's the oil pressure that "pumps them up". So unless the engine is running they are not pumped up. If you turn the car over with a valve cover removed, is oil shooting up the pushrod onto all the rockers ?
If not on any then not enough oil pressure (rebuild time).
If only only on a few, then the pushrods could be plugged (clean them out) or lifters shot (replace them all and do a proper Cam break-in when you do), or not enough oil pressure (rebuild time).

Hope this helps.

Mach1steve

Mach1steve said:
all Hydraulic lifters can be pushed down with the Pushrod, it's the oil pressure that "pumps them up". So unless the engine is running they are not pumped up. If you turn the car over with a valve cover removed, is oil shooting up the pushrod onto all the rockers ?
If not on any then not enough oil pressure (rebuild time).
If only only on a few, then the pushrods could be plugged (clean them out) or lifters shot (replace them all and do a proper Cam break-in when you do), or not enough oil pressure (rebuild time).

Hope this helps.

Mach1steve
Your right, but you know when you aljust the valves, and you press on them, there is resistance. There is absolutely none. Even after priming. Can't be rebuild time. This motor only has 150 passes on it.:D It has just been sitting. Project is done, but something has changed. What's cam break in ? Roller baby.:banana: I gotta tip from another website, and I think it may be possible that I screwed up. Hope, tha's what I messed up. on my way to work to find out right now.

80 psi seems kida high? If all your lifters are not pumping up at 80 psi it sounds like you have a lot of air in the system. Maybe your oil pump lost its prime from sitting so long and is cavitating causing air bubbles which would prevent the lifters from pumping up. Or all the lifters are stuck from gum or varnish from sitting so long.

sounds like a tough one if it wasnt for the 80 psi your reporting id say an oil galley plug blew out. i have primed new engines before where right after the drill started to pull hard it lost some torque to it. once it was one of the plugs behind the cam sprocket the other time it was the plug just under the intake on the back of the engine that blew out on me. if you have a high volume oil pump the pressure at the filter may not have dropped as much as would a standard pump.

GOT IT !!!!!!!! The oil filter relocation lines were backwards. So the oil filter wasn't letting any oil to the motor. I swapped them, and primed. Saw oil at the lifters in under 10 seconds. If my sender for the oil psi was in the block, I probably woulda seen there was no real oil pressure earlier. Car sounds means as hell. Now I can hear it over the rockers.:D

you can install a turbo on your car ....but you make a easy mistake like switching the oil filter lines.:chair:

i always make the little dumb mistakes too..remember the firing order situation after your install of the new cam! :rlaugh: