Light Bar vs. Roll Bar

• Sponsors (?)

roll bar pics and sources

MineralMan said:
:nice: Agreed. My 'vert will never have a lightbar installed, ruins the look of the car with the top down.

Found this photo on the 'net of a convertible with an actual roll bar. Sorry for the low quality and size, only one I could find:

mustconv1.jpg

thanks for the pics. I searched for some and couldnt find them . Also sources but almost everything that turned up was actually from the phrase "anti-roll bar".

I found one or two sites for mustang roll bars but none for 05-06 mustangs. I guess they aren't made yet. Please post if anyone finds differently. Or more photos.

Attachments

• mustconv1.jpg
    mustconv1.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 45
Nice Car. My mustang is black on black though and I think it would need a black bar not chrome color. Where did you get your bar/ KNow of any places that make them for 05-06 yet?

:taco: Bar

haha just joking*****

Originally Posted by lethalstang
Personally, Since a Mustang is a Muscle Car, you want to try to make it look as "hard" as possible. A light bar will make it look cool, but a roll bar makes it look more manlier. I got a roll bar for my baby, and damn do I get attention.

Originally Posted by k5zx
That's exactly what i thought as I was reading through this post. A light bar looks kind of :taco:. Are they functional at all? they look like they would shatter under a roll. But I would like to get something for my convertible

Originally Posted by DropTopPony
great additional information for this 3 year old thread
my lightbar thinks you look kind of :taco:!

Originally Posted by GDawg
The only ":taco:" about my car is this weeks flavor in the passenger seat...

me:
I knew I would get some responses with my above post. You must admit I did a good job of resurrecting a years-old thread. I will do a write up on roll bars and :taco: bars and get it submitted later this week.

haha joking again about the light bars. They are cooler than nothing at all.Just seem a little expensive for something that has no function other than holding a light. I was going to get one too before.

bob and gdawg I hope the crew in my state mustang club I just joined have your sense of humour.

k5zx said:
haha just joking*****
bob and gdawg I hope the crew in my state mustang club I just joined have your sense of humour.

Dude, the guys in my State club all think my car is hot eventhough I'm one of the slowest in my group. Gotta love the pony... :D

to those that say a light bar is purely cosmetic...have you ever driven a Mustang before and after a light bar has been installed?

the light bar is a big piece of metal connecting the two of the stiffest pieces of a car (the door frames)...
so no a light bar is not a roll bar, but does it tighten up the body and greatly reduce body flex (and the associated creeks and moans)? H*LL YES it does...

(and it looks sweet too :nice: )
mustang-rear.jpg

GDawg said:
Your car is one of the few that I personally think look good without one. (That's your car in the sig right? And it's updated in the Avatar with stripes?)

Let me ask you... is your car dropped? And if so is the Cobra R front facia a lot lower than the stock and do you have problems? I'm sorry about going a little off topic... I'm thinking about buying a Cobra R body kit but worry about the scraping with my 1-3/4" drop. I may have to go a Saleen style. That's my winter project. In the next month I'll be installing my KB SC. :D

Thanks for the compliment. The avatar is the old look, with the white stripes. The signature is the in-progress newer look. It's lowered with H&R SS springs, the front end is factory GT bumper with Mach 1 chin spoiler and the Mach 1 hood/shaker. On steep driveways I do scrape the bottom of the spoiler on occasion. With the Cobra R front bumper and this drop, I think you would scrape more than I do.

mransr said:
to those that say a light bar is purely cosmetic...have you ever driven a Mustang before and after a light bar has been installed?

the light bar is a big piece of metal connecting the two of the stiffest pieces of a car (the door frames)...
so no a light bar is not a roll bar, but does it tighten up the body and greatly reduce body flex (and the associated creeks and moans)? H*LL YES it does...

(and it looks sweet too :nice: )
mustang-rear.jpg
I don't think people realize that the style bar is actually a piece of steel tubing wrapped in foam/vinyl. I could definately feel the difference after the install of mine. I bet the style bar would offer some protection in the event of a roll over...well more then if you had no bar at all.

k5zx said:
Nice Car. My mustang is black on black though and I think it would need a black bar not chrome color. Where did you get your bar/ KNow of any places that make them for 05-06 yet?

I don't know of any '05-up bars, but mmine is made by hooker and is called their "car bar." I don't believe they make them anymore, but I got it from summitt back in '99.

Where are you from? There are a ton of chassis fabricators out there than can make a bar specifically for your car. If you are anywhere around here I can name a few.

Where did you get your light bar?
I saw one in the Mustangs and Fast Fords magazine through ABC something or another. The guys at the Ford parts store said watch out for them. Has any one heard of them or had any trouble with their parts?

vhbuilder said:
Where did you get your light bar?
I saw one in the Mustangs and Fast Fords magazine through ABC something or another. The guys at the Ford parts store said watch out for them. Has any one heard of them or had any trouble with their parts?

well I guess it is Halloween season and time to bring things back from the dead :lol:

anyway here's a place to start:
Classic Design Concepts

CDC (link the guy above me gave) is where i got mine..... i payed an extra $20 i think it was to NOT have the brake light... as for practical purposes, it definately stiffens your suspension and is still solid as hell, it will provide a hell of a lot of protection if anything happens, it cant be called a roll bar though because it obviously doesnt count as one.....

idk if anyone still wants pics but why not....

friends with rollbar (best pic i have) idk i dont like it and it cramps up the back seat if u ever use it
garbage.jpg

mine
DSC05249.jpg

Attachments

• garbage.jpg
    garbage.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC05249.jpg
    DSC05249.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 44
DropTopPony said:
I don't think people realize that the style bar is actually a piece of steel tubing wrapped in foam/vinyl. I could definately feel the difference after the install of mine. I bet the style bar would offer some protection in the event of a roll over...well more then if you had no bar at all.

Seems to me if the people who manufacture light bars were to use the kind of steel bars used in roll bars instead of the steel tubing, then a lot more vert owners would be interested. You would have the styling of the light bar and the safety of the roll bar. Why don't they do it?

flipnsac said:
Seems to me if the people who manufacture light bars were to use the kind of steel bars used in roll bars instead of the steel tubing, then a lot more vert owners would be interested. You would have the styling of the light bar and the safety of the roll bar. Why don't they do it?
i'm guessing size...a roll bar is fairly thick so after you added the foam padding and cover to get the shape it would be huge. The bar inside the the style bar is not incredibly thick but serves its purpose. Its still without a doubt one of the best upgrades i made to my vert.

DropTopPony said:
i'm guessing size....

But size doesn't matter :D I've seen the bars on roll bars and they are not excessively larger in diameter than the steel tubing used in light bars. After you cover it with the foam padding and cover, no one could tell the difference, other than the weight.

I just think there is a manufacturer's niche there that is yet untapped.

flipnsac said:

because if they called a light bar a roll bar they'd put themselves at risk for product liability lawsuits...

also I doubt very much there is much, if any, difference between the steel in a light bar and the steel in a roll bar...the difference is in how they are attached to the car

A light bar has the metal internal thickness of a tent pole. It is for show only. But some of our cars are for show with a little beef and some are very serious fast cars. To me, a roll bar on a vert that's not lowered looks like it should be in a "High Country 4X4" magazine....