Lights dimming!!!!! damn it

DirtyD916

May 25, 2003
Norcal 916
WEll my lights are not hat bright interior wise adn the headlights arent to amzing either and when ever i am at idle and have the clutch in the lights will brighten up with a little rev. Now my friends mustang doesnt do this and i was just wondering if it was something to worry about. Coud it possibly be a bad connection with the alternator?

• Sponsors (?)

most do, esp if one has the idle set near stock (i.e. some guys raise the idle to ~1K rpm, which can help with the issue). do you have the stock alternator?

i would not sweat it too much, though you can have a parts store load test the system to check it out for sure.

good luck.

It's drain on the current. If you have a stock alternator like mine..it does it all the time...i watch the current drop in sync w/ my turn signal...sigh... it's not an issue until your car takes a couple tries to crank..(weak battery from not gettin' charged fully by the crappy alternator)...as long as it's running i wouldn't worry about it...UNLESS it didn't do it..and recently started..in which case your battery and/or alternator may be starting to head south.

other than that you should be fine.

DirtyD916 said:
ya mine does take a few cranks to start. I figured it was the alternator. Guess its time to save up for a new one. thanx again
if the motor cranks strong, it is not a charging system or starter issue. if it cranks but takes a bit to catch, it is a fuel, spark and/or management issue (amongst others).
hate to see ya toss money at a battery to have the same issues. like i said, parts stores will check out your charging system.

good luck.

hey man. dont save.. i got a BRAND NEW alternator- well not brand new... rebuilt is what it is.. its a stock replacment if you want it... give me a rpice.. paid $100, let u have it for $50.. if that.. need to get rid of my car parts..

got basically 97% of a full 1989 notchbacj (carb 302) sitting in my basement. ill give u good deal on anything, upgraded heads, msd 6a; igniton box, t-5 tranny new centerforce dual friction clutch.. name it il prob got it.. give me a pm if ur interested.

Upgrade to a 130 amp or if you plan future stereo or accesories mods, then go for the full 200. The stock 65 amper sucks ass. I just changed it to a 80 and it is a world of difference. Just remember that if you change to a 95 or higher amp alt, then go with a 4 gauge wire upgrade. It is good insurance.

the stock wiring is barely adequate for anything over stock output. i personally would upgrade wiring no matter what alternator is used (too much wiring cannot hurt, verse vice can).

notchman's advice is good stuff, if one does not want to mess with different alternators. many do not put out many amps at idle (no matter how many peak output amps they deliver). that is something i would ask the vendor/manufacturer when purchasing.

good luck.