Lightweight lug nuts for mustang

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

I'm assumin' that since ya got a sub and amp in your car, your obviously not concerned too much about weight... so I'll take this as a joke lol.. You could always try leaving a few lug nuts off to save weight, 2 should hold the wheel on, no problem = )

no not kidding, I'm just stupid like that. Have you ever held 20 steel lug nuts in your hand? Now take those 20 and put them in a sock (about 3.5 pounds) and start spinning them around and you will soon understand why I want aluminum. Every little thing adds up and yes I want bass more than lug weight but if you find 5, 10, 20 little things all of a sudden you have one big one. If you have a choice why not go lighter? Why did we get aluminum drive shafts,c/c plates,wheels, etc.? Food for thought.

If you are serious, which I doubt, dont even consider this. Why not get some that are made of plastic, even lighter. Lug nuts are kind of important. aluminum strips out easily, thats why they made them out of hardened steel. Get lighter rims or something, dont be cheap and get lighter lug nuts, you will just put yourself and others in danger.

I do not suggest getting them. 7000 series aluminum is very brittle. For a car that maybe had 5 lugs and weighed less than 2500 lbs... maybe. As an every day driver with a car that is at least 3200lbs empty and has 4 lugs I wouldn't put my life on them. Aluminum is aluminum. Heat treatment and anodization help but aluminum is still a very soft metal. In all actuality you are better off getting lighter rims and keeping your lug nuts. You are not loosing that much in rotating mass because the lug nuts are so close to the axle... well on the axle... just not far from the center, there is not much leverage to work against you. Consider a set of these.
http://www.allstar-performance.com/product.htm?prod=377
Or any titanium lug nuts in general. It will be much safer. With aluminum you only loose a little less than half the weight so maybe 2 lbs.ish. Is it worth it?
The problem with titanium is when it is put under pressure next to another metal it has a tendency to try to bond to it. FYI.

what an awsome idea ill go do that to, i just got back from testing my new valve stem covers and all i can say is wow. if you want a pair go to your local school and steal the plastic ones off of 2 kids bikes

Status
Not open for further replies.