Loctight Or Thread Sealant?

kendawg73

Feb 5, 2014
I know the flywheel bolts on the 5.0 go through the crank so oil will leak.. so they need to be sealed... but when I search I see people saying to loctight the flywheel bolts so they don't come loose... but loctight isn't really going to seal them from oil coming out will it? the stuff is like water when you put it on... Or should I just use a thread sealant (like the ARP one)?

And if I do need to use loctight, which one Blue or Red?

thanks...

• Sponsors (?)

Refer to the attached FMS installation manual:

hmm, well first, I have all new ford racing stuff that listed in that doc to do my install when I put motor back in... lol.... so I'm good there... ( I got new everything...from the seal out...)

but I see they say "
Loctite thread lock should be used to keep the bolts tight and seal the threads from leaking oil
past the threads and onto the clutch."

they don't say which one red or blue though.... hmmmm so I guess it does seal the oil from coming past then.... I would hope.

I've always used RED because it's a high heat area.

Additionally, the stuff that I use is a paste: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lct-38725

Now, you probably don't need all of that but it covers just about every situation for thread lock/seal.

upload_2017-5-9_11-44-23.png

To see what it said, I cracked open the 1993 Ford Mustang Service Manual and it said to coat each flywheel bolt with Ford Thread Sealant P/N D8AZ-19554-A, which crosses over to Loctite PST 592 High Temperature Thread Sealant.