Long Block Vs Short Block????

BluThnder99

Aug 29, 2003
St. Louis
I wanna Rebuild!!!

I'm thinking of over hauling my 4.6 2v when it hits 100,000 miles my questions are what is the difference between a long block and a short block and which one would be better for me. I want the car to be built to drive only a daily bases not only for the strip. I also want to be able to drive on short trips out of town every now and then. Also who makes a good built block to suit what I want. Like I said I want some power but I also what to be able to drive the car on a regular bases, my goal is to make about 400- 450 horsepower out of the car and I also what to keep the 2v and I don't want to do a power adder.

• Sponsors (?)

a short block is a fully assembled lower end. block, crank, rods, pistons. a long block has heads and cams on it. you are gonna have to try really hard to get 400-450hp out of a NA 2v motor. i dont know if its possible even. just make sure that the internals are forged.

Ok that makes sense, I guess that was a dumb question but thanks alot. Well i guess 400-450 isn't a must, how much power will one of the VT long blocks make me. Or do you think I would make more power by just buying and 03-04 Cobra which would be a better bang for my buck and make more power in the long run. I'd like to rebuild my 2v so I could have sleeper but what do you guys think.

2v N/A VT Long Block OR 03-04 Cobra

BluThnder99 said:
Ok that makes sense, I guess that was a dumb question but thanks alot. Well i guess 400-450 isn't a must, how much power will one of the VT long blocks make me. Or do you think I would make more power by just buying and 03-04 Cobra which would be a better bang for my buck and make more power in the long run. I'd like to rebuild my 2v so I could have sleeper but what do you guys think.

2v N/A VT Long Block OR 03-04 Cobra

Not a dumb question at all, i didnt know what the difference was for the longest time as well... Why are you so hesitant to put on a poweradder? If youre going to get a built block, you can slap a blower on without any worry :shrug:
Either way, good luck with whatever choice you make :flag:

I just don't want that much, I'm not trying to make a drag car just a fun car thats driveable thats all. If I was building it for the strip a power adder would be on the list but I just want something fun and fast enough to run with the new Vettes, not beat them just keep up.

BluThnder99 said:
I just don't want that much, I'm not trying to make a drag car just a fun car thats driveable thats all. If I was building it for the strip a power adder would be on the list but I just want something fun and fast enough to run with the new Vettes, not beat them just keep up.

you can make 400hp driveable with a power adder easier than without. If you try to do it NA with huge cams, you're going to sacrifice road manners.

Don't touch anything of SHM's. You'll be sorry.

Why not have VT build you a full DOHC 5.3L longblock N/A? You can make over 375rwhp with that without a lot of trouble, and it'll swap right into your current car (just get a 99 harness and plug it in at the firewall) with a new flywheel. Then you're set with an N/A car making over 400 horsepower without super huge cams or a blower.

I say buy a Mach 1 engine, crate or off ebay or junkyard or something, send it to VT, and have them build a killer N/A engine. If you don't want the blower, that's the way to go, IMO. The swap isn't difficult on '99+ cars at all, either.

ChrisWeil said:
Don't touch anything of SHM's. You'll be sorry.

Why not have VT build you a full DOHC 5.3L longblock N/A? You can make over 375rwhp with that without a lot of trouble, and it'll swap right into your current car (just get a 99 harness and plug it in at the firewall) with a new flywheel. Then you're set with an N/A car making over 400 horsepower without super huge cams or a blower.

I say buy a Mach 1 engine, crate or off ebay or junkyard or something, send it to VT, and have them build a killer N/A engine. If you don't want the blower, that's the way to go, IMO. The swap isn't difficult on '99+ cars at all, either.

How much would all that cost me? And I have the 4r70w auto tranny will it hold up?

GT 'Street' $6895

Forged Manley or Diamond Pistons, Eagle or Manley Forged H Beam Connecting Rods, VT forged crankshaft, tri metal bearings, ARP main and ARP head studs, new iron block, high volume oil pump/pickup tube, rear seal plate, Stage 1 cnc heads with stainless steel valves, Comp Cams valve springs, and stock performance improved (PI) camshafts.

Alright what about this combo without a blower? How power do you think I would have? This is VT's street long block

BluThnder99 said:
...I just want something fun and fast enough to run with the new Vettes, not beat them just keep up.
Why not beat them? :shrug: It feels great when you beat the crap out of a vette...I can do it with my KB blown Roush!! it goes like this...

Kenne Bell Intercooled Supercharger......$ 4999.00
Supercharger installation....$ 400.00
Beat the crap out of a corvette (or a rice)....PRICELESS!!! :hail2:

if you want to stay N/A and add a shortblock, cams, ported heads, etc - plan on 10-12k. and you're not going to get 400hp. just trust me on this one. if you're on a budget, get a KB and be done with it.

you will spend way more trying to get power N/A on these cars than you would just getting a Kenne Bell or something. I think the current 4.6 2v RWHP record is something like 368, and theres a LOT of money in that car.

A shortblock is the basic block with internals (crank, rods, pistons, etc) A longblock is that + heads and typically cams on it. Get a shortblock and throw a 9psi KB on it...you'll be pushing about 400rwhp which is where you want to be anyway.

BluThnder99 said:

Mine's been supercharged for a year now and I still have not been to the track.

Alright well i'm not a budget really but i don't want to spend more than I have to. I was thinking would my stock PI heads and cams work on VT's Sportsman short block? That way I can save a little money for the blower.