Longtube Headers

yaboy4life93

Jul 11, 2011
Hey guys, do you think longtube headers on a sixer is worth while? Will I truly see a big gain in performance? If so, I am looking at the pacesetter model on amer. muscl.. What do you all think? Any insight would be appreciated... ANY!

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 2001 v6. I know A.M. is out of stock, but ebay has it. What I am really looking at doing is adding some performance and some sound. I was told that a SCT tuner on my automatic would give it a good boost, but I figured maybe instead of putting money into a tuner, I could put it into a dual exhaust with longtube headers and call it a day. what do you think about this. Also, I thought of just eliminating the muffler, but I heard it is pretty obnoxious and can damge the manifold, as if puts pressure on the flange.

The tuner or the headers could give you a performance but, the headers will give you a more noticeable sound difference. Both together will give more performance of course. I know that eliminating the muffler can be too loud for many but, I don't see how it could damage the manifold. A single piece of pipe in place of the muffler would weigh less and actually reduce pressure on the flange.

I cant afford headers or exhaust right now so i cant help you with that but taking your muffler off WILL give you problems or at least it did me. It made my gas mileage drop very very drastically (i get about 12 or 13 in the city and maybe MAYBE 20 on the highway) and i have had to replace both manifolds since i cut it off. Had my whole driver side come off from the 3-1 intersection back while going down the street. And a sixxer with no muffler(s) is a mistake in the first place it sounds like :poo: trust me. Its nowhere close to the pure muscle sound of a gt which im pretty sure thats what youre looking for. Its more like a diesel truck had sex with a civic and popped out a little baby mustang. I have heard headers with american thunder divorced duals with no crossover on a v6 thats probably the closest youll get without dumping thousands of dollars into it.