Looing for some advice

01BlkGT

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2002
ATX
Looking for some advice

I'm in some need for advice, as too I'm really naive about these cars being as I I got a modular. My father in law has a 66 coupe with a 289 (rebuilt but has about 100k on the engine and over 200k on the body). The question comes that he has about $2000 in his hand and it's starting to burn. He's been waiting for the 289 to burn out and I think it's finally on it last leg. What options does he have from here in this price range (he will be doing all the labor himself) in terms of crate/donor engines, should he rebuild and go from there, etc. His ultimate goal is to have around 300rwhp and rwtq while maintaining everyday drivability and reliability. Thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

since u dont want a gob of power that wont be too hard at all. I'd start w/ a 5.0 roller motor, find a decent rebuild kit and have the bottom end rebuilt, bored if necessary. Maybe look into a set of thumper E7 heads and get them port and polished, maybe shaved to raise the compression if wanted. Or a good ol set of 289 HiPo heads make a big difference if you can find them. There is also using early model 351W heads. Then I'd look into a nice cam which would depend on the rest of the build and what your power goals are such as powerband. I'd recommend a Stealth dual plane intake for sure, Demon carb, good headers, and things of that nature. That power from a 5.0 is not very hard at all.

You're asking for quite a bit for your $2k... 300 rear wheel horsepower is a lot horsepower. This equates to 350-375 at the flywheel, net, not gross. That is gonna be tough to pull off from a built 289 or 302 and keep the kind of reliability and drivability your talking about. And I really don't believe you'll get that kind of power for $2k.

That said, if you're essentially trying to get a good strong motor with the power to keep up with a new GT, then that is probably doable. I agree with TSW about going with a rebuild. To get the most for your dollar, I'd first pull the 289 and check it. If its still in decent condition, then rebuild it, but if its already been bored a bunch, or the crank has been turned previously, then I'd recommend finding a good 5.0 roller motor to rebuild.

In either case, if you do a good job, the rebuild will probably end up costing between $600-$800 for just parts and basic machine work. Get a good rebuild kit with hypereutectic pistons (a nice compromise between forged and cast), bearings, gaskets, oil pump, etc. Get the block machined (bored/honed), rods reconditioined, crank turned if needed, get cam bearings installed, etc.

For adding power, shoot for 9.5:1 compression, consult a cam company for their recommendation for a moderately strong cam (probably dual pattern), and check out some heads like the Windsor Sr., Thumper, or even upgrade your originals with ported/polished/upsize valves/hardened exhaust seats, etc. The heads alone will typically run between $550-$700.

Add a good dual plane intake, carb, and headers, and you're sure to have maxed your $2k. You should also be making around 300hp at the flywheel.

Hope this helps. Good luck! :nice:

Go with a late model roller 5.0 , Ported & polished E7's, or a port and polish job on the 289 heads. Pop in a B303, F303, or an E303 roller cam, Ford A321/ C90X/ Edelbrock F4B/ Cobra high rise dual plane intake ( these are all basically the same intakes) add some roller rockers, headers, a 650 carb. With the roller 5.0 you'll be lookin at about 300hp. Or find a 351W or Cleveland and rebuild one of those.

I figured it would be asking a lot for 2k, but then again, you dont know till you ask. Anyone know where to get a roller 5.0 that's not trashed. I was looking at www.car-parts.com , but I dont know anyone that has a history with them. Local wrecking yards want over $1500 for a motor that they dont know the history of. Talked to him today and he went to get a compression check on the cylinders and everything was withing spec so I'm guessing building on that platform would be the most cost effective right?

I bought a rebuilt roller 5.0 short block from a local parts house for $340 exchange. It's rebuilt by City Motor Supply in Dallas and has silvolite hypereutectic flattops. It may be cheap but it's held up to over a year of daily thrashings. I did do some mods to it though. I replaced the rod bolts with ARP's, swapped the stock cam out for a Ford B303, installed a HV oil pump and HD pump drive. I initially built it with a set of ported E7 heads and a Ford A321 intake, but now it's topped by a set of Canfield Heads and a Vic Jr. Pushed the 3800 lb Ranger to a 13.8 1/4 with a 4 speed. Altogether I've got about 2 grand in it, and over half that is in the heads and Comp Cams roller rockers.