Look at my leaky fuel tank. Hope to find a shop in San Diego

67boo2

Aug 1, 2006
Picture001-1.jpg

I was noticing oil driplettes on the cement below the tail pipe. I thought it was my other cars leaking oil. Till one day I took a peak under the tailpipe and found a big surprise.

Picture002-1.jpg

I realized that one of the metal hangers from the driver exhuast pipe was no longer attatched. Therefore the exhaust pipe would lean against the fuel tank and melt away its protective coating. Now I know what the bang is everytime i hit a bump.

I made a temporary fix with a coat hanger to avoid the tailpipe leaning against the fuel tank, But I think I caught this a little too late. Now there is actual gas leaking.

Picture003.jpg

Any suggestions what to do? Get a new tank? Refinish this one? I know the tank is no more than 7 years old. any one in San Diego

Sux because tank is about 3/4 full with expensive San Diego Gas.

Straight up Shot
Picture004.jpg

Happy Holidays!!

Attachments

• Picture001-1.jpg
    Picture001-1.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Picture002-1.jpg
    Picture002-1.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 81
  • Picture003.jpg
    Picture003.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 64
  • Picture004.jpg
    Picture004.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 64
  • Sponsors (?)

67boo2 said:
Any suggestions what to do? Get a new tank? Refinish this one? I know the tank is no more than 7 years old. any one in San Diego

It looks like your tank was punctured from that dent and coating was the only thing holding the fuel in.....until the exhaust removed it.

Tanks were relatively inexpensive last I looked, inexpensive enough to make it not worth the trouble of finding someone willing to weld it. If you replace it, get one with a drain plug.

You owe me the bigger version of your avatar, BTW. :D

Yep, get another tank--and I would say soon.

You can clearance the new tank for the exhaust pipe by mocking it up, marking the area, and then tapping that area in.

I used a pipe laying on its side to give the tank a channeled effect. You could also do it with pry bars once your exhaust is secure again. Easy to do since the tank is so flexible in that area.

I'm in San Diego and I would agree with the prior posters. First of all removal and replacement of a tank is realtively easy, draining it is probably the hardest part. In any case not a job for a mustang specific shop. If you order a tank you'll proably want to make sure it comes with a new sending unit, if not order one also. And I agree about getting one with a drain plug. I even replaced my original drain plug with a stopcock or petcock type valve from Napa

As far as the exhaust goes, a basic muffler shop could take care of it either welding it back in place or perhaps you might need to replace some parts.

If you want to try and pick up a tank here in SD I would try mustang shoppe in city heights but you might pay more than Mail order
www.mustangshoppe.com
4124 Poplar St
San Diego, CA 92105
(619) 281-8173

Or there is another place I think in El Cajon or La Mesa

Thanks guys I guess ill be searching for a new fuel tank & sending unit.

Would it be safe to drive this car a few miles to get this done at my cousins place? or is this a equation to death?

Some other Bob

10secgoal said:
Come on Bob, you know where we are. You were here yesterday. :)

We're in El Cajon.
619-440-FORD

:rlaugh: Must have been another Bob in san diego with a stang. I'm sure there are a few of us. I'm up in Mira Mesa. Don't get out to EC much

But now I have your # all I need is your address. Do you have a web site?

Are you sure the tank is leaking gas? It looks like that could just be the exhaust melting the tar coating off of there, which then drips all over your floor. That gunk can be petroleum-based and smell like gas when it melts.

drbobj67 said:
:rlaugh: Must have been another Bob in san diego with a stang. I'm sure there are a few of us. I'm up in Mira Mesa. Don't get out to EC much

But now I have your # all I need is your address. Do you have a web site?
Haha, yeah. Talked to my buddy. That Bob was from JMC.Hehe, was gonna say your memory was getting old.:lol: Yeah, the website Mustangauto.com
We'll be changing the site a little bit prett soon. Getting ready to turbocharge my buddy's gorgeous 67.

Thanks guys I guess ill be searching for a new fuel tank & sending unit.

Would it be safe to drive this car a few miles to get this done at my cousins place? or is this a equation to death?

To me this is a tough call because what I would do personally is more dangerous that what I would recommend someone else to do.

I would just drive it and worry about getting blown up later.

However, I would recommend you either do a nice safe temporary patch like with an epoxy or just tow/trailer the car.