Looking at a 98 GT with PI motor, few q's.

68stang351

Founding Member
May 16, 2002
Savoy TX
So since my 04 is totaled :mad:, I was looking at buying a friends 98 GT. It has a few issues, but I believe they are fixable. I really only have 1 main concern about it.

It drives fine, runs fine, and doesn't miss or anything, but it seems to be down on power. It has a PI motor in it with less than 10k on it. One thing I did notice is that it has the same pink injectors as my 04, which I believe are 21#, but he's still using the stock 98 MAF, which I think are 19#. I wonder if that could be why? It just feels like it's a lot slower than my 04 GT.
I'm not sure if it is actually down on power or if it just seems like it because I've been driving my modded fox for the last few days.
It does have a CEL on, which I'm going to read to see if it can give me any clues.

They only other little issues are the tach being jumpy and the a/c not getting power to the clutch.

But this whole situation has me kinda broke and on a low budget, or else I'd buy another new edge.

But this car falls perfectly in my budget and could be payed off quickly.It's black, lowered, already has exhaust, new clutch, and engine accessories, would make a great substitute for my 04.

Well, I'm probably going to buy it anyway, but I want to see if any of this stuff rings a bell with the PI swap guys.

• Sponsors (?)

Sorry to hear about the new edge, but glad your checking into another stang and that your OK. Could be what is causing the CEL light to come on is what is making the car feel and actually making it down on power. What gears does the 98 have - could also make it "feel" slower if the factory gears are in there and they aren't 3:27s as the stock new edges are? I believe the PI swap guys just move over the stock injectors (I'm only partially PI swapped), so that should be OK.

Good luck with the new beast.

Sorry to hear about the new edge, but glad your checking into another stang and that your OK. Could be what is causing the CEL light to come on is what is making the car feel and actually making it down on power. What gears does the 98 have - could also make it "feel" slower if the factory gears are in there and they aren't 3:27s as the stock new edges are? I believe the PI swap guys just move over the stock injectors (I'm only partially PI swapped), so that should be OK.

Good luck with the new beast.

I thought about the gears today. They are probably 3.08's which could explain that.

I just found a black 01 GT for the same price, so I may go for that one.

One thing I did notice is that it has the same pink injectors as my 04, which I believe are 21#, but he's still using the stock 98 MAF, which I think are 19#.

The maf can be compensated for in the ECU. I run a sct xc3 from AM with the free bama tunes for life deal and they compensated for my frpp 24# w/o changing the maf. It ran like cr@p before the tune change though. VERY happy with the AM deal. 379 shipped to my door and I'm on my 3rd set of tunes in 3 weeks.

Or swap back to the 19# injectors. I have a couple of sets in the garage if you want some cheap.

Good luck getting a good ride :)