Looking At A Capri After Fox Is Totalled....

Long story short, my 90 two tone GT is totalled from someone hitting me head on. It's bad but fixable, most likely needing major frame work on both sides. It looks like I'll be taking the money from insurance from it. At the same time this happens, I come upon an 85 Capri for sale locally. 101,000 miles, one owner, 5-speed, stock and unmolested, nice paint, just inspected, and just needs minor work to make it nice. It's hard letting go of my GT but I think I'm ready to start a new chapter with something else. Capri's like this are getting very hard to find so my biggest question is, how reliable are the carbed 5.0 foxes and what exactly does it take to make them faster? I know nothing about carbs, lol. Insight me....:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Same thing as your injected fox but you have a carb instead of those high dollar computer tunes that are hard to find.

Guys, I think he meant to type "tuners" not "tunes". Err, at least that's what makes sense.

To the OP, like any engine, give it more air and more fuel and it'll make more power, just like an EFI car. H/C/I was a term developed before EFI, ya know. :nice:

ditch the carb go EFI, the car will actually run right all the time, carbs require alot of attention if you want the driveability of an EFI car, and with the avalability of parts there arent many reasons to stay with the carb if its a street driven car

I wouldn't swap motors unless the Capri didn't come with a 5.0 to start with, as you wouldn't be gaining a whole lot other than the headache of having to swap all that wiring and crap over. The pre-'86 motors were almost all flat tappet motors, so you won't have a roller motor anymore, but there's still a TON of cams available for the older motors ... perhaps even more so than the rollers. While EFI is preferable to carb for DD'ing as far as drivability and requiring less fine-tuning, carbs are WAY cheap for making power and they're old-school simple, no computers to fight with or anything like that. You'll just have to read up a bit on how to tune/service carbs if you aren't familiar with them, and you'll have to get used to tapping the gas pedal when you start the car, but otherwise it's all the same game and the power should feel about the same ... if not better, as the older four-eyed Foxes tended to be lighter on average than the Aero models. (Less sound insulation and crap, I guess.)

And Capris are way rare nowadays, so by all means, if the one you're looking at is in good shape and the price is right, jump on dat bish, yo. :nice:

Do you DD this car? In the winter? I'm not sure but do newer carbed motors need to be choked and such when the weather drops in temp? My only carb experience is with my fathers race car, and that isn't much, plus a whole different ball game with that car!

Unless you plan to drive this car every day and all year around, there is no logical reason to swap to EFI.

Go ahead....ask me how i know :D

If i can start my chokeless double pumper in below freezing weather, then there's no reason to fool with swapping to EFI on a fun car or something you just want to enjoy on nice days.

Anything you learned about EFI, you can learn about carbs. It just works in a simpler mechanical way. You have the internet...there's GOBS of info about tuning and how to work on a carb, and contrary to internet myth, they DO NOT require constant tinkering to keep them running great....you tune it and leave the damn thing a lone and it simply does what it's supposed to do. Keep it clean, don't let it sit parked forever, and all will be fine.

Lastly, if this Capri is as stock and unmolested as you say, why the heck would you wanna ruin that? That's a diamond in the rough...leave it carbed.

Damn Travis, sorry to hear about your GT that was a nice clean car. Give me a shout sometime or stop by my new shop ;)

I wouldn't be afraid of the carb, they are really not that bad. It will actually be a little cheaper to build since you won't need the electronice parts, inj, MAF, etc...

IIRC the 85 rear end is a 7.5 and the exhaust is single but you can fix both of those problems. Capries are the poo poo I have always wanted one since I was 17 and me and my 86 Vert had my butt handed to me by a red 85-86 Capri with teh bubble windshield :drool:

Cool factor = 10/10 in my book. Do eeeeet

Shameless pic whoring opportunity intended to tempt you into getting it....lol.... :D

Good luck w/ it if you decide to go that direction. I'd rock the heck out of the carb setup and not worry about it.

DSCN2390.jpg