Looking at buying this 1995 gt, few questions

dstang01

Sep 22, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Ive been in the market for a 5.0, and I looked at a 1995 gt today. The guy is asking $6,000 (canadian) for it, and Im wondering if its a good deal. The reason I ask is most of the mustangs in my area (vancouver) are either beat to hell or overpriced. Its red with a gray cloth interior, with 180,000 kms (in canada). The car is in good condition, there are no scatches and dings on the body, the cloth interior is very clean, and the 5.0 looks and sounds great too and started up without a problem. Unfortunately, the car is currently uninsured because he is storing it, but if Im serious about the car he will get a day permit for it so I can test drive it. There are a few issues with the car Id like to clear up with you guys, so opinions would be great. :nice:

1. When the car idles and the clutch is fully out, the car squeals. This bothers me because I dont know whats causing it. If the clutch is pushed in a small amout, the squeal goes away. The brought this to my attention and doesnt know whats causing it. Could it be a bearing?

2. There is a crack in the middle of the windshield, what would this cost to replace? Also, there is no carpet in the trunk, what would this cost to buy?

3. The knob for the climate control system doesnt work. No matter what position the knob is turned to the car only blows out of the defroster vents. This kind of scares me, because I dont know if its a simple broken switch, or a worse electrical problem. Is this a common problem with these cars?

4. The car has no foglights and a cloth interior, could it possibly be a gts? how can I tell? (this isnt a problem with the car, just something i can check)

5. If i want to swap to a leather interior in the future, what would a set of leather seats in good condition cost? I understand any 94-04 seats can bolt right in (again this isnt a problem, just an inquirey)

Thanks for any imput guys, you have always been helpful, so your advice would be greatly appreciated :cool:

• Sponsors (?)

3. The knob for the climate control system doesnt work. No matter what position the knob is turned to the car only blows out of the defroster vents. This kind of scares me, because I dont know if its a simple broken switch, or a worse electrical problem. Is this a common problem with these cars?

It's a common problem, and it's a vacuum leak. There is a hose that runs along the firewall in the engine bay, and when they get a leak it causes this problem. Replacing this hose usually fixes it. I'll try to find more info for you.

4. The car has no foglights and a cloth interior, could it possibly be a gts? how can I tell? (this isnt a problem with the car, just something i can check)
No foglights means its likely a GTS.

5. If i want to swap to a leather interior in the future, what would a set of leather seats in good condition cost? I understand any 94-04 seats can bolt right in (again this isnt a problem, just an inquirey)

If I was you, I'd just have the stock seats recovered in leather. Also keep in mind if you have a black interior, the 99+ seats are much lighter than 94-98 black.

1. When the car idles and the clutch is fully out, the car squeals. This bothers me because I dont know whats causing it. If the clutch is pushed in a small amout, the squeal goes away. The brought this to my attention and doesnt know whats causing it. Could it be a bearing?

2. There is a crack in the middle of the windshield, what would this cost to replace? Also, there is no carpet in the trunk, what would this cost to buy?

1. Throw out Bearing (TOB). easy enough to change. Get in there and do a clutch, TOB , bearing retainer, etc for well under $500 US in parts.

2. No idea. here in the US you can get glass coverage on your insurance and get them to pay for it after a couple of weeks, pending they do not inspect the car first.

3. Likely due to a vacuum leak.

4. Likely means it is a GTS.

5. Get some 99+ leather seats from a boneyeard. best price I have seen ins $100/seat (300 for 2 fronts and rear)... USD of course...

Buy it man. that is a decent price for the mileage and condition in my opinion...

Agreed, speedy here in ontario charges 240 installed for a brand new windshield

look for ABS on the car...IIRC, the one surefire way to tell a GTS is if it lacks ABS

TOB is definitely the clutch problem...get it changed real quick.

Dig in at 4500 and see if he'll drop to 5 grand. Tell him there's not much of a market for these cars anymore, and the mileage is a bit high...

I've had throwout bearings make noise from the day it was installed. If it's just chirping, it's ok, if it's grinding like mad, may wanna change it.

And I've had that vacuum line break on me and my air would only come out of the vents. Easy fix

And in the states, it doesn't make a difference if your windshield is broke or not when you get your policy, they still have to fix it.

I looked at another car today, this one was a 1995 green gt. The car was posted for $5500, it has had the door and quarter replaced due to an accident, and the rest of the car is in mediocre shape (tear in seats, scratches and rock chips, etc) Now.. I didnt get a great feeling about the guy, hes an older guy who lives in a beat up house with his hardcore lookin son. Apparently he bought the car off his daughter who bought it off her ex boyfriend and is sellin the car because it has "too much power". The engine was rebuilt (funny because the car only had 130,000 km) bored to 306 and apparently "everything had been redone" well.. the engine bay looked like your average poorly maintained 5.0, there was a stock intake grimed up, it looked like stock e7's too, and apparently theres straight pipes from the cats back, but the thing isnt all that loud. The sister said her ex put in a bigger cam too. The engine makes a ticking as well, but they said it was the valvetrain. Anyways, by now you probably know Im not too interested in the car, but I test drove it anyways to get a feel for it. Believe it or not I havent driven a sn95 before. Well.. the car felt solid and shifted well, but I just wasnt that impressed with the power, or torque i guess. I mean, it felt very weak.. and once you wound it up a bit it got better, but it didnt really push you into your seat in the least bit. Hopefully its just this perticular car, maybe the cam isnt sized properly or it wasnt rebuilt well, but I was actually really disapointed. Anyways, Ill try to test another 94-95 5.0 and hopefully it will be a bit better.

I looked at another car today, this one was a 1995 green gt. The car was posted for $5500, it has had the door and quarter replaced due to an accident, and the rest of the car is in mediocre shape (tear in seats, scratches and rock chips, etc) Now.. I didnt get a great feeling about the guy, hes an older guy who lives in a beat up house with his hardcore lookin son. Apparently he bought the car off his daughter who bought it off her ex boyfriend and is sellin the car because it has "too much power". The engine was rebuilt (funny because the car only had 130,000 km) bored to 306 and apparently "everything had been redone" well.. the engine bay looked like your average poorly maintained 5.0, there was a stock intake grimed up, it looked like stock e7's too, and apparently theres straight pipes from the cats back, but the thing isnt all that loud. The sister said her ex put in a bigger cam too. The engine makes a ticking as well, but they said it was the valvetrain. Anyways, by now you probably know Im not too interested in the car, but I test drove it anyways to get a feel for it. Believe it or not I havent driven a sn95 before. Well.. the car felt solid and shifted well, but I just wasnt that impressed with the power, or torque i guess. I mean, it felt very weak.. and once you wound it up a bit it got better, but it didnt really push you into your seat in the least bit. Hopefully its just this perticular car, maybe the cam isnt sized properly or it wasnt rebuilt well, but I was actually really disapointed. Anyways, Ill try to test another 94-95 5.0 and hopefully it will be a bit better.

Sounds like a lot of things wrong with this car... I bought my car in horrid running condition... but I knew i could fix it... looking back I should have looked around for a better starting point but I was anxious to be back in the convertible game...

Keep looking. A good running 5.0 will push you back in your seat...