Looking for 87-89 Cluster/dash harness diagram.

Fett

Nov 2, 2004
I already searched and all of the diagrams I am finding are wrong. I have found 3 different instrument cluster diagrams that show the pin location, wire color, and description for an 87-93 cluster....but those are wrong. The pinouts were changed with the addition of the airbag, and all the diagrams actually show the 91-93 cluster.

I am trying to find, what I think is, a bad ground somewhere in the harness...or possibly a crossed wire.

Thank you.

• Sponsors (?)

Thank you for posting that, but that is one of the diagrams I have. I know it says that it is for 87-93, but that is incorrect.

That is for the 90-93, the 87-89 clusters have different pinouts. I actually have the Ford EVTM and it matches the above diagram, but many of the pins for the 87-89 are in different locations. The one that jumps out at me is the left and right turn signal pins. In the above diagram it shows that the + for the right and left signals are on different connectors....which is true of the 90-93 clusters. If you follow the printed circuit card on the back of the cluster you can see that the + lines from the two turn signal bulbs go to other sides of the cluster. One goes into connector 1 and the other goes into connector 2. But in the pre-90 clusters those two positive pins are on the same connector.

And if you look at the wire colors on the diagram and compare them to an 88 cluster, they are different.

You are right, I didn't even bother scrolling down because I have the same file but I only have 1 page. I didn't even notice there was a second page on that link until I read your reply. When I originally saved the file I must have saved page 1 only.

Thank you very much. But I am afraid if I am not smart enough to see a second page...I don't think I will be smart enough to fix my problem. ;)

Thank you again.

You were smart enough to notice the different pinouts and wire colors so you're smart enough to troubleshoot your problem. The problem is you never described the situation you're having so we can't give you more direct answers.

I was having two problems, one I fixed. A pin had popped out of my hazzard switch...which was causing issues.

Now my only problem is my temp gauge reacting with electrical charges. If I turn my headlights on, my temp gauge jumps to 3/4, and it moves with my blinkers. So I think it is a ground issue. I am putting gauges in my car soon enough, so I might just live with it for now.

It is just another step in undoing a lot of crap that was done to this car by the previous owner. Never buy a partial 2.3>5.0 swap.

You could take a look at the ground located at the lower front driver's side fenderwell to see if it's good, but since only one gauge is affected it might be a gauge specific problem behind the cluster.

Yea, I took a look at the grounds in the engine compartment today, while I was doing my 3g alt wire upgrade. It looked OK, but when I replace my front clip next week I am going to remove every ground and clean up the connections. Plus I might upgrade my engine-to-firewall ground as well. I have the stock grounding strap and I have heard that with the upgraded alt you should change that to a 4 gauge wire.

It's just a matter of cleaning up everything now, which is taking time...but hopefully it will be worth it.

Since the alt wire upgrade and securing all the pins in the hazzard switch, my stock gauges don't jump as much with electrical drains. So hopefully I am on the right track. It is just a matter of finding all the grounds now. I know there are two on the front of the fender, one on each side of the car. Plus the engien ground on the back of the head, and the one on the pass kick panel.