Looking For A New Fan

JCode95

Oct 29, 2012
Picayune, MS
Almost done doing my 3.8 to 5.0 swap and I can't get my old electric fan to go back in. I used the timing cover and water pump off of an older fox so I could use a mechanical fuel pump and now the fan hits the water pump. I have been reading about people using Intrepid and Taurus fans in foxes but what about SN95s? Would like to just go pull one from a junkyard instead of ordering one and waiting for it.

• Sponsors (?)

The popular Taurus fan is a single blade and you'll probably have the same issue as with the stock fan. As noted, the dual Intrepid, Contour, et al dual-fan assemblies might be ok for you. Note that the duals often have a canister motor on one side and a pancake on the other. If there's an issue with one side hitting something, I suppose you could run the fan upside down.

I don't think a whole lot of the SN folks have run the dual fans (it's more popular for Fox III retrofits, and those guys generally have more space anyways).

I found one on Summit Racing's website that is pretty thin but it only flows 960 CFM. I found somewhere that the stock fan flows 2700 CFM on low and 3800 on high. Will 960 be enough to keep it cool? I rarely go anywhere outside of town except in October when I go to Cruisin' the Coast and its stop and go traffic. Which btw was a terrible way for dad to teach me to drive a stick.

The advertised CFM ratings are not necessarily apples to apples (methodology and interpolation differences. Things like voltages measured at, exclusion of fan motor impediment, etc), but I would want something that flows close to stock. The OEM ones noted earlier would.

Kurt, the 2700 CFM spec sounds about right. I believe I had a CFM chart somewhere but I can't find it.

Thanks Hissin. I didn't even know what the advertised was, I just knew that most people considered it adequate. I know people go to the Taurus fan because it's supposed to flow like 3500CFM.

Kurt

Reviving old thread, again. Anyone ever get a Contour Fan on an SN95. My stock fan clearly isn't cutting it. Wondering if you can run it with the stock CCRM, where to put the Cannister, etc. I found one video on youtube, but the guy had deleted those things.

Kurt

Why is your fan 'not cutting it'?
major modifications?

Yes, this is a 347 car, 2" aluminum radiator. The car is fine driving down the road, about 190 degrees. As soon as it starts sitting too long, too many red lights, etc, it starts creeping up. I was looking into doing the Mark VIII upgrade as well. They are readily available on ebay, but I am unsure of the quality. I am also thinking of doing a pusher fan. I read that the Mark VIII fan "can" be plugged right into the stock CCRM.

Kurt

How much does it creep up?
Stock clutch fan?
I have a spal or black majic or something similar for many years, ac not hooked up so it works but if I had working ac I'd be nervous.
I'm going back to the clutch fan

How much does it creep up?
Stock clutch fan?
I have a spal or black majic or something similar for many years, ac not hooked up so it works but if I had working ac I'd be nervous.
I'm going back to the clutch fan

Factory electric fan. It just keeps creeping. When it hits about 215, I turn the AC off and sweat, but it'll get over 220 if I just let it sit with the AC on.

I had a Black Magic on my Fox years ago. I don't remember the exact CFM rating, but it's not that strong.. I think I ended up giving it away.

Kurt

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
It's always been this bad, since I put the first stroker engine in in 2000. I think the factory fan is just too small. I'm going to try and wash out the condensor core and see if that helps. If that doesn't work, I'll try a bigger fan. Obviously I am looking for the option that is the least amount of hassle, which is tough with how tight it is behind the radiator on an SN95.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 user
My engine stays at 180* on the dot, in traffic with my stock fan and the 3 core radiator Americanmuscle sells. I also have a high volume water pump from gmb.

The stock fan moves some serious air. In my experience, it moves as much as any aftermarket single fan.

I’ve driven the car anywhere from 50-98* days and it stays consistent.

My engine stays at 180* on the dot, in traffic with my stock fan and the 3 core radiator Americanmuscle sells. I also have a high volume water pump from gmb.

The stock fan moves some serious air. In my experience, it moves as much as any aftermarket single fan.

I’ve driven the car anywhere from 50-98* days and it stays consistent.

That's good to know. That is encouraging me to not waste time on another fan. I have a 2" radiator. We put a 3" radiator on my friend's Cobra. It stays cool as hell. It was a $700 radiator though. I bought the biggest radiator available back in 2004'. It's clean inside, and it has had the same problems the whole time.

Kurt

I may not have a stroker motor but I daily my Fox in one of the hottest locations on earth( Nevada) we have so many 100+ days and with the a.c. On my black magic extreme fan cools it with the cheap 2 core alum. Rad

Reactions: 1 users