Looking for advice for future Mustang purchase

james12

Dec 8, 2009
Want to start off by saying hello since I am new to the forums. Have been reading this site ofr a while and decided to join.

I have not owned a mustang in my life, but my dad currently has the 2010 GT premium coupe in sterling silver manual tranny of course all and all... kick ass car. He had to have rotator cuff surgery so, the mustang has been in my possession whiile he is healing and I have to say that it is truly a machine. Also, I must say that I am having more fun cruising in 4th gear on back roads, just because the sound the car makes is pure and American! Like a symphony I love it. More fun then cruising on the highway in 5th where the engine sounds nice, but nowhere near the sound of 4th gear.

Anyway, enough of my rant.. just needed to show my praise and jealousy t all you 2010 mustang owners. Now let's get down to business, I am turning 20 on Saturday and for my 21st birthday, my parents and I are going to try to work a deal that lands a new car in my hands, aka the musang. My question is do I go for the new 5.0? or do I pick up a 2010 leftover where the deals will be hopefully amazing? I want a GT premium, convertible, manual with navigation system. That is what I am looking for. As, I said I am quite fine with the 2010, but the 2011 will have that power increase.

Open for discussion, I hope some of you guys will jump in and help me out.

• Sponsors (?)

Also for you convertible owners out there, how are the new tops holding up in the rain and snow? I live in south jersey and we normally get a decent amount of each. Also, how is the sound inside the car, I heard Ford made it quieter in the 2010 can anyone confirm this?

The combination of options you are looking at is going to be pretty expensive relative to normal GT prices. I don't know if that is a problem for you or not but if the higher price is a problem and you are fine with the current power level then get a 2010 when they have really good discounts or a slightly used one. If money isn't an option or you really want the extra 100hp then by all means wait for the 2011. Also remember you could always buy a used 2010 and slap on a ford racing performance whipple supercharger and be around the same price you would pay for a new 2011 with less power, but then again there will be some other upgrades for the 2011 like the 6-speed trannies.

I was looking in another forum and there are brand new 2010 GTs selling for 25k. Taking that into consideration and putting the 550hp whipple or saleen kit on it will bring you to around 32k for a 550hp GT. I guess it really comes down to what your priorities are for the car. Power is great but if it really comes down to what your personal preferences are. For 95% of people that buy mustangs the stock engine is enough.

Personally I have been waiting for the "coyote" 5.0L to be released for a long time. My last mustang was a 92' GT that I built a 347 stroker for, converted to manual, put in a Tremec TKO500, built 8.8 with 31 spline axles, etc.... So to say the least I love power. If I wasn't obessed with hp I would probably jump on one of the deals on 2010s. The deals will only get better especially when the 2011s get close to showing up on lots.

Bluestang thanks for your input. Yeah I mean I know the vert and GT will automatically bring my price up a little bit and then it is a matter as time goes by to say, "hey do I just get the 2011 for the extra 3-4 grand whatever it may be" I think I may have to just wait until the 2011's hit the lots and read the reviews from the usual sources and then go from there. I will probably end up adding some more HP, because who doesn't like some extra horses under the hood? Especially, not knowing how much is true, that convertibles lose some HP from what is on the sticker. While that is not my top priority, it will be addressed. I feel the 5.0 will be a little better to use for the HP due to the new 6-spd which will be nice. I will just have to wait and make a gametime decision as I won't be close to buying until the end of next year. This leaves me time to get to see the 2011 in action and hopefully test drive one. We will see what happens.