Looking for advice/info on '88 GT I'm looking to buy.

wildswing

Aug 6, 2004
Soo, Canada
Hi fellas,

I'm a newbie here in the 5.0 forum. This a kinda long, but it takes some 'splainin and I've tried to include as many questions as I can think of right now...

THE SET UP:

I'm looking for a Fox body for a daily summer driver that may possibly become more of a ground pounder later on.

Lately, I have been eyeballing a 1988 GT for sale locally (I'm in the Soo). The current owner is just a casual seller. Doesn't really want to sell it but needs to make room for a new project. Real car nut. Garage currently has the GT, a late 60s Cougar, a wild supercharged Fiero and someting else under a tarp. Says he bought the GT about a year ago from a fella in Thunder Bay who babied it. Never winter driven and says it's been oil sprayed every fall.

- 5.0 HO 5 spd hatchback with 155k kms (93k miles).
- No significant rust anywhere. Even the rockers and sills are blister free. All original paint except for a poorly done touch up on the rear left quarter.
- I took it for a drive. No creaks or rattles. Engine feels healthy and gearbox is smooth. I can't feel any slip in the clutch.
- He's asking $5500. Looking at online ads in Auto Trader for Ontario, that seems to be about right.
- underbody/undercarriage is free of the corn flakes type rusty leprosy common to cars around here that have not been taken care of and winter driven (like my truck). There's just the slightest hint of surface rust on parts underneath.
- I do see a bit of an oil leak from the driver's side valve cover, there's some build up on the steering rack and the rear end looks wet, but that might be oil spray, maybe.

I plan on taking a closer look by getting it up on the lift at a friends shop. From what I've seen so far, it's the best Fox body I've seen, having been looking since the spring. Keep in mind, I live in the Soo so "keep looking, another will come along" advice can mean for a real long wait some times. Most cars I see that are of interest are 6 hours away!

ON TO MY QUESTIONS:

1 - Where can I find an online VIN decoder for this model year?

2 - Are there any specific things I should be looking for or inspecting in an '88 GT? How about significant TSBs or recalls?

3 - HO vs Non-HO EFI? Differences please? HO is a roller and Non is not, right? What about the rest of the mill. Is the HO a better platform for a build up? Why or why not?

3 - I know the speed density system will have to be changed if I want to modify the engine. I've seen a number of MASS conversion kits offered by FRP and others. Is there a prefered kit? Any to stay away from?

4 - If this turns out to be a "buyer", can you recommend any literature or publications for modifying/rebuilding the 5.0 HO or driveline?

5 - Was there a standard rear end ratio for the '88 GT or were there options?

Pictures of the car in question can be seen HERE

• Sponsors (?)

As far as rear end options. The car would have come with 2.73's with the option to upgrade to 3.08's. The roller block would be the nice feature of the HO engine. Although I have also seen some crazy HP figures from non HO engines too.

I did the MAF conversion on my 87, but before i did, I had all the usual bolt ons. Intakes, exhaust, pullies etc, and it still worked great. The MAF conversion definitly helped with my surging idle.

wildswing said:
ON TO MY QUESTIONS:

1 - Where can I find an online VIN decoder for this model year?

2 - Are there any specific things I should be looking for or inspecting in an '88 GT? How about significant TSBs or recalls?

3 - HO vs Non-HO EFI? Differences please? HO is a roller and Non is not, right? What about the rest of the mill. Is the HO a better platform for a build up? Why or why not?

3 - I know the speed density system will have to be changed if I want to modify the engine. I've seen a number of MASS conversion kits offered by FRP and others. Is there a prefered kit? Any to stay away from?

4 - If this turns out to be a "buyer", can you recommend any literature or publications for modifying/rebuilding the 5.0 HO or driveline?

5 - Was there a standard rear end ratio for the '88 GT or were there options?

Pictures of the car in question can be seen HERE

1. I think CARFAX can give you an "history" of your car. Go on the 5.0 forum and ask if somebody can give you a free carfax..Somebody will help you then. Usually you have to pay but some people know how to get it for free.

2.I've heard that a lot of fox bodys are "twisted" under. Better take a look. But if the car is stock I wouldnt worry too much about it.

3.Usually the speed density works amazing as long as you dont put a cam in it. Thats what I heard. But mass air is the way to go. Just grab a used computer and harness from Ebay. Then buy a ProM 80mm or get a used stock mass air on Ebay also. They sell for really cheap.

4.Advice is to read in the 5.0 forums as much info as you can get. Study the combos. Thats pretty much where I learned all my chit and now my car is fairly fast for a heavy sn95.

5. 8.8 rearend for a V8. Gears were 2:73's or 3:08's but no matter what I'm 99% sure that this will be one of your first mods so I wouldnt worry too much about it.:D

Here's a picture of the door plate. What can you tell me about it?

88GT_22%20(Medium).JPG

I was able to decode the numbers here...

http://www.mustanggt.org/forms/88decode.htm

VIN 1FABP42E4JF291661

1FABP USA, Ford Passenger Car, Active Seatbelts
42 3-door Hatchback (GT Series)
4 V8, 5.0 Liter, 302 (EFI) Engine
J 1988 model year
F Dearborn Assembly Plant
291661 Consecutive build number

DOOR TAG NUMBERS

DATE 06/88 Build month June 1988
EXT PAINT COLORS 1C 73 Black Titanium lower
DSO B8 Great Lakes (Ford of Canada) (District Sales Office)
Body 61B Hatchback
VR blank No convertible
MLDG NNN Titanium/Red (tutone only)
INT TRIM PG Smoke Cloth (Articulated Sport)
R 9 AM/FM Electronic Stereo Cassette
S C Sunroof
AX Z 3.08 rear end gears (Traction Lok)
TR 2 5-speed T-5 manual transmission
BB front spring codes ????
BB rear spring codes ????

The only things it couldn't decode were the front and rear spring codes; both BB. Any idea what those stand for?