Looking For Ideas For My New Milling Machine

• Sponsors (?)

Finally got to actually run a piece that I've modeled and programmed myself. This is a drilling template for the Shelby suspension mod on the 65/66 mustangs. For those like me who are anal about being precise instead of using a paper template. These will ensure your holes are exact. Now working on the 67/68 version.

20180224_142055.jpg
20180227_090600.jpg
[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]

This is definitely on the bench for next winter!!!! Was just asking if this fella could do the machining with his new toy. Trying to find someone here in Edmonton is impossible . So that was my thinking anyway.

SM you can do the machine work yourself with a good dremel if you are willing to put in the time. no need to ship the head out and pay the cost of shipping that heavy piece of iron both ways.

the first thing you need to do is get a nice flat surface for the adapter to sit on.

i just had a thought, do you have a community college where you live? or a trade school? if so then you can either take a machine shop class and use your head as a school project, or perhaps you can get the instructor to allow one of the students to do the job as part of their school project. just an idea.

Finally got to actually run a piece that I've modeled and programmed myself. This is a drilling template for the Shelby suspension mod on the 65/66 mustangs. For those like me who are anal about being precise instead of using a paper template. These will ensure your holes are exact. Now working on the 67/68 version.

20180224_142055.jpg
20180227_090600.jpg
[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]
Good idea ,and 67 -70 is the same . Soon as you have them pm me and i will give you a forum link where i think you could sell them pretty easy

SM you can do the machine work yourself with a good dremel if you are willing to put in the time. no need to ship the head out and pay the cost of shipping that heavy piece of iron both ways.

the first thing you need to do is get a nice flat surface for the adapter to sit on.

i just had a thought, do you have a community college where you live? or a trade school? if so then you can either take a machine shop class and use your head as a school project, or perhaps you can get the instructor to allow one of the students to do the job as part of their school project. just an idea.

Although I could easily do what you are asking, I agree the shipping would be expensive. The trade school is a good idea and could probly get done for next to nothing. I don't know about the dremel idea. You would never get that surface square and flat like you would need for the adapter to seal properely.
You could also get on craigslist and find a local guy with a personal manual mill in his garage. Or a local car club surely would know someone. All else fails, then I would be glad to do it.

Thanks man. I think rich is referring to using the dremel to hog out the center. Anyways thanks again. Enjoy that sweet machine of yours. I will be contacting NAIT to see if the would be interested this fall.

Although I could easily do what you are asking, I agree the shipping would be expensive. The trade school is a good idea and could probly get done for next to nothing. I don't know about the dremel idea. You would never get that surface square and flat like you would need for the adapter to seal properely.
You could also get on craigslist and find a local guy with a personal manual mill in his garage. Or a local car club surely would know someone. All else fails, then I would be glad to do it.

Thanks man. I think rich is referring to using the dremel to hog out the center. Anyways thanks again. Enjoy that sweet machine of yours. I will be contacting NAIT to see if the would be interested this fall.

actually its possible to do the entire job with a dremel, but tos is right it is extremely difficult to get the surface flat enough with just the dremel tool. and it would take forever to do as well, and if you screw up then you need to find a replacement head.

and tos i have no doubt you could do the job easily, in fact it is a pretty simple job overall. in fact it is machine shop 101 stuff. i fi had the tools i could do it with the little machine shop training i have had.

Reactions: 1 user
I was going to suggest custom brackets for aftermarket or OEM calipers and someone already suggested that. I could add that one to adapt SN197 (Cobra) calipers and 13" rotors should be good sellers.

Regarding custom engraving...how about a set of valve covers with vanity names?

EDIT: here's a picture of the brackets I bought and used, they are no longer available.
brakes07.jpg

Here's the article of the installation https://sylvia1967blog.wordpress.com/brakes/

Last edited:
Just some suggestions on material, if your using aluminum, 6061 works well, 7075 looks nicer. The only thing to stay away from is “O” condition. Look for T6, T651, or something similar. Anything that has -O behind the number is soft and gummy to machine. You’ll never get it to polish either.

Reactions: 1 user