Looking For The Right Rims

cbanakis

Apr 8, 2016
Hello everyone.

This is my first post, so sorry if I do something wrong.

I have a far from stock 2001 Mustang GT.

I have always wanted to upgrade my wheels, but can never find ones I like more than the oem premium alloy wheels I already have.

The 5 star matte silver alloy wheels with the plastic pony hub covers.

I am looking for rims with the most comparible look possible, but...
17"x9" fronts, and 17"x10.5" rears.
(Or simular)

Gotta have the 10.5's in the back, and fronts obviously need to be narrower.

Also strongly prefer to stay at 17" because of tire availability, and affordability.

Anyone ever seen anything like what I am looking for?

Or even have for sale?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Hello everyone.

This is my first post, so sorry if I do something wrong.

I have a far from stock 2001 Mustang GT.

I have always wanted to upgrade my wheels, but can never find ones I like more than the oem premium alloy wheels I already have.

The 5 star matte silver alloy wheels with the plastic pony hub covers.

I am looking for rims with the most comparible look possible, but...
17"x9" fronts, and 17"x10.5" rears.
(Or simular)

Gotta have the 10.5's in the back, and fronts obviously need to be narrower.

Also strongly prefer to stay at 17" because of tire availability, and affordability.

Anyone ever seen anything like what I am looking for?

Or even have for sale?

Thanks
Do you have a picture of your stock wheels? This would help us help you ;)

Sorry, I tried earlier, but it wasn't working on my phone.

I have these guys...
s-l225.jpg

You might want to look at the 17" Cobra R wheels, they are similar in style and will be available in the 10.5" rear wheel combo you're after

I was looking at those, and definitely like the style.
(Pretty much exactly what I had in mind)

But I've only seen them in black, or chrome.

Do they exist in a matte silver?

I was looking at those, and definitely like the style.
(Pretty much exactly what I had in mind)

But I've only seen them in black, or chrome.

Do they exist in a matte silver?
Sure do, whether or not they still make them new is the question. Ill keep my eyes open for them.

Reactions: 1 user
This is a good canidate but is only available in an 18
http://www.americanmuscle.com/silver-saleen-18x10-9404.html
Gorgeous.

But yeah, 18"s are a bit of a downside.

I found these "Replica" wheels that look pretty nice, but this isn't a show car.
Building an engine right now, and aiming for 900+hp, so idk if these wheels would explode or not.
http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Mustang-Cobra-Deep-Dish-Wheel-silver
http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Mustang-Cobra-Deep-Dish-Wheel-silver_4
(Also looks like the lip is chrome, and I'd have no fine non-ugly center caps)

Definitely love the Saleen style.
Any reason against the 18" wheels?
Ill throw this out there, if you really like the stock wheels, you can have the rear wheels widened to whatever you would like. The cut the barrel and in a fixture weld on a new bac section to your desired width and backspace.

Any reason against the 18" wheels?
Ill throw this out there, if you really like the stock wheels, you can have the rear wheels widened to whatever you would like. The cut the barrel and in a fixture weld on a new bac section to your desired width and backspace.

I assumed you could get rims widened, but wasn't sure on cost, and more importantly strength.

Also, shouldn't the rim be widened equally on either side of the hub?

I just want to avoid 18's because 17's have more tire options available, and cheaper tires.

Never understood why less rubber costs more, but that seems to be the way it is.

I assumed you could get rims widened, but wasn't sure on cost, and more importantly strength.

Also, shouldn't the rim be widened equally on either side of the hub?

I just want to avoid 18's because 17's have more tire options available, and cheaper tires.

Never understood why less rubber costs more, but that seems to be the way it is.
18" and 20" tires have come way down in price over the years. Just food for thought.

There is no issue on having a pro weld on the wheels, ive had plenty of wheels beadlocked, narrowed or streched. If you wanted to have a deep dish style wheel they could weld on the face of the wheel but know it would need to be refinished. By welding on the back of the wheel you avoid this completely and you can use a spacer if need be to put the wheel where you want

Reactions: 1 user
18" and 20" tires have come way down in price over the years. Just food for thought.

There is no issue on having a pro weld on the wheels, ive had plenty of wheels beadlocked, narrowed or streched. If you wanted to have a deep dish style wheel they could weld on the face of the wheel but know it would need to be refinished. By welding on the back of the wheel you avoid this completely and you can use a spacer if need be to put the wheel where you want

Excellent point on the spacers.
(Not sure why I didn't think of that)

Might still want new wheels, just because mine do have some nicks here and there.
(They are 15 years old)

But having a plan to have them widened definitely gives me more options.

Can I ask for your guess on cost for widening?

Just any kind of vague range would help.
(Your guess is better than mine)

Any idea what kind of search terms I should use to google "wheel widening services near me"
lol