Looking forward to Stangnet knowledge "Collective"

ragsrule

Feb 18, 2020
Punta Gorda
I've inherited a 1999 4.6L GT. :D
228K miles
No dents or dings...EVER, or even a hint of rust, though it has sun-damaged paint sitting outside in Florida.
Presently, she has an issue with P1151 which indicates a Lack of HO2S-21 switch.:oops:
So my question, "Where the Ding-Dong" is this puppy located?

Also, the odometer is on intermittently which I thought I had remedied when I took out the dash and cleaned all the connections. It was good for a day, but does come on more frequently now. Could the issue be the one ribbon cable from the back of the dash unit to the circuit board?

I know...rude to just jump in with both feet.
Thanks for allowing clowns in.

Attachments

• 1582382137103.png
    1582382137103.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 119
  • Sponsors (?)

Hi,
That’s a Ford specific code regarding the Drivers side heated 02 sensor upstream of the Catalytic converter(closest to the motor).. Car still runs good, no idle issues or hesitation under a heavy foot or load?
Jump in with both feet and have at it, lol!
Have a decent Scantool? Plug it in after resetting the code & watch for an 02 sensor “pegging”(not correcting, enter “PID’s” and watch real-time data, if an 02 sensor stays at one reading & doesn't move).
Removing the 02 sensor out of the passenger side & swapping it over to the the drivers side, if the code migrates to the passenger side, it’s likely the sensor. An exhaust leak from the exhaust manifold to the motor may also cause this, or any exhaust manifold leaks on the drivers side.
An overfilled oil level may cause this issue, I’d stick to the most common, then move on to others using the process of elimination.
The sensor may also be cleaned where it inserts to the exhaust system.
1) An 02 wire going to the sensor sitting on the exhaust may be melt the wire(s), follow the wires up from the sensor and see what you find, check any inline connections for corrosion or moisture. Clean, add a little dielectric grease to each connector pin, once cleaned, see if that remedies it.
2) Look for any old vacuum lines causing a leak & if any are hardened, or brittle, cracked, or there’s a bad vacuum. I suggest adding a fuel pressure gauge directly to the fuel
rail, comes in handy when troubleshooting.
4) Check the HEGO ground, used for the 02 sensors and verify connection(s) as solid, repair as necessary.
- Don’t test the 02 sensors with a multimeter across the sensor, it’s too delicate to handle the voltage the meter uses and will likely destroy it.
-I’m uncertain about the the Odometer and the H02 issues being directly related but I have no idea what may have been disturbed think it a good idea to follow up on that and the wires to see if there’s an issue that indirectly connects the two, follow the 02 sensor wiring carefully and check to see if the ground or signal wires been disturbed, if the culprit hasn’t yet been located, it’d be a good idea to follow up on that.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.
Good luck!
-John

Hi,
That’s a Ford specific code regarding the Drivers side heated 02 sensor upstream of the Catalytic converter(closest to the motor).. Car still runs good, no idle issues or hesitation under a heavy foot or load?
Jump in with both feet and have at it, lol!
Have a decent Scantool? Plug it in after resetting the code & watch for an 02 sensor “pegging”(not correcting, enter “PID’s” and watch real-time data, if an 02 sensor stays at one reading & doesn't move).
Removing the 02 sensor out of the passenger side & swapping it over to the the drivers side, if the code migrates to the passenger side, it’s likely the sensor. An exhaust leak from the exhaust manifold to the motor may also cause this, or any exhaust manifold leaks on the drivers side.
An overfilled oil level may cause this issue, I’d stick to the most common, then move on to others using the process of elimination.
The sensor may also be cleaned where it inserts to the exhaust system.
1) An 02 wire going to the sensor sitting on the exhaust may be melt the wire(s), follow the wires up from the sensor and see what you find, check any inline connections for corrosion or moisture. Clean, add a little dielectric grease to each connector pin, once cleaned, see if that remedies it.
2) Look for any old vacuum lines causing a leak & if any are hardened, or brittle, cracked, or there’s a bad vacuum. I suggest adding a fuel pressure gauge directly to the fuel
rail, comes in handy when troubleshooting.
4) Check the HEGO ground, used for the 02 sensors and verify connection(s) as solid, repair as necessary.
- Don’t test the 02 sensors with a multimeter across the sensor, it’s too delicate to handle the voltage the meter uses and will likely destroy it.
-I’m uncertain about the the Odometer and the H02 issues being directly related but I have no idea what may have been disturbed think it a good idea to follow up on that and the wires to see if there’s an issue that indirectly connects the two, follow the 02 sensor wiring carefully and check to see if the ground or signal wires been disturbed, if the culprit hasn’t yet been located, it’d be a good idea to follow up on that.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.
Good luck!
-John
Ok, that is clear now. Thank you for your answer.