looking to buy a 1985 mustang gt

ludachris

Mar 4, 2012
hi all
i just spotted an 85 mustang on craigslist. i am looking to get into a mustang and never really thought about an 85 because of the carb. I am totally in experienced with carbs and have no idea how they perform or would run. I would be looking to daily drive the car for awhile (most likely the whole summer). how would this car be as a daily driver. And what are your opinions on the car as a whole and with the carb. Also how hard is it to change to efi if i were to change it. also what kind of numbers would i see with the mods it has. (aproximate horsepower, tq, track times, fueleconomy)

here are the mods:

Hurst short throw shifter
Full length headers
H Pipe
Flowmaster cat-back exhaust
Holley 4BBL carburetor
Edelbrock Intake Manifold
Rebuilt 8.8 rear-end from a later model Fox body with Ford Racing 3.27 Gears and TrickFlow reinforcement casing (car originally equipped with 7.5)
March Underdrive Pulleys
Ford Racing Aluminum Driveshaft
Sub Frame Connectors welded in
Saleen 16 inch rims on BF Goodrich tires

Thanks
i appreciate any help

• Sponsors (?)

If your plans are to swap out to an EFI set up in the future, why not just buy an '86? They're identical looking, but already run a factory SEFI system? The EFI will run better, feel torquier in part throttle regions and get better mileage than any carb car.

Also, most 5.0L's out there will have a lot of those same mods done to them. Bolt ons are disposable...in the sense that they don't add any real value to a vehicle and are generally worth about 1/4-1/3 the price they were new on a used car.

That being said…if you do plan on modifying, it’s always best to let the last guy spend the money and skin their knuckles doing the hard stuff. Just don’t let them get too carried away with their asking price because of them.

I owned an 85GT and I didn't like it much. It has the 7.5" rear which I broke powershifting into 2nd gear on a stock engine (so weak). Like mentioned the throttle response from Carb to EFI is night and day. After about 6 months I had enough and eventually bought an EFI car.