Looking To Buy A 2006 Gt Convertible

SteveViv

Aug 2, 2016
My son has his eye on a 2006 Black GT Premium Convertible, About 80K miles, seems in good shape. Seller has to do some minor suspension repair. Not big! Will run Carfax tomorrow. I have seen some negative feedback on these. Electrical primarily with battery/alt. You always get the negative people so I am reaching out to you folks to get some real Mustang owner feedback.

• Sponsors (?)

Proud owner of an '05 GT Premium convertible here. Black, too. Bought about a year ago, with about 60K miles at the time.

The only electrical problem I've had was with the Shaker 500 sound system, which apparently ate a CD from the previous owner and wouldn't spit it out. That got replaced with an aftermarket head unit.

It's had the kinds of issues you have with a 10-year-old car: sway bar end links, differential pinion seal, brake pads and rotors, tires, paint chips and scuffs. We did the airbag recall that everyone's doing, and it looks like we're going to have to do it again (passenger side). Nothing really major.

Spark plugs are an issue. Before mid-2007, these engines had a poor spark plug design where the plug breaks off in the socket when you try to remove them. I'm probably going to have mine replaced soon at a shop just to get that issue behind me. If you or your son are the DIY auto repair type, you definitely want to look at what's involved before doing plugs on these cars. The plugs themselves seem to work fine, and they're long-life plugs, and there are reportedly better-designed plugs out there and install procedures that prevent this problem, but you've eventually got to swap out the stock plugs sometime.

Also, check the hood in particular for paint issues. I'm fortunate not to have this problem, but some people have reported flaking and chipping paint starting at the front edge of the hood.

If something bad happened to this one, I'd buy another in a New York minute.