Looking to buy a Cobra tonight!

mcnaz said:
Why don't you take your time - sell the 330 privately and look for a better deal on an '04. You'll make more on your private sale ($3-$4K) and not worry about losing the value on a "net trade" price. If you insist on trading it in, make sure you agree to the final price on the Cobra before even mentioning the trade. I recently sold my Lexus IS privately for $2K over the best dealer offer and bought an '01 cobra (also privately).

The dealer will NOT sell the Cobra for less than the MSRP at all. They must work on my trade-in to earn my business.

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like you need to go to a different dealer. I bought my Mystichrome back in feb. Traded in a 2001 Cobra 'vert in on it. KBB & edmunds listed the '01 around 19K on trade in. I got 21K from my dealer, 2K over the best value I found. That is the 1 number they would never budge on. The '04 they started with a 5K markup over MSRP, but since I'm a good customer they said they would knock it down to just 1500 over sticker. I told them I have a problem paying MSRP, let alone any markup. I did the walk out. A little back & forth got my in my '04 for $1755 under MSRP. Not bad considering this was back in feb. with no rebates & the car being a Mystichrome, IMO.

Check around & I think I remember reading there might be 2000 available in discounts & rebates on the '04's now.

MystiChrome Coupe said:
Check around & I think I remember reading there might be 2000 available in discounts & rebates on the '04's now.

You are correct. I just found that out from another dealer. I remember I once traded in a car and the dealer showed me his "blue book" value of $1500. I said no way and walked out the door. The dealer would not let me leave until I agreed to a trade-in of $5,500! How's that for a deal?
:nice:

you'll love it but make sure they will give you a full refund/ I guy i know did that not with a cobra but he left and came back two days later with a problem and the lot said they would buy it back but for $4000 less than what he paid. Once that car leaves the lot the value plumetts it's just the way it is.

The offer I was made was $32,500 trade-in for my BMW and the cost of the 2004 Cobra without chrome wheels is $33,500, or $2,400 off of sticker. Another dealer gave me the same for my trade but the cost of the Cobra would be $34,000. I told them I would sleep on it and I should let them know by the end of the day.

cobra dave said:
you'll love it but make sure they will give you a full refund/ I guy i know did that not with a cobra but he left and came back two days later with a problem and the lot said they would buy it back but for $4000 less than what he paid. Once that car leaves the lot the value plumetts it's just the way it is.

In Ohio I signed a 3 day cancellation notice form giving me 3 days to break the contract for any reason.

If you have the time sell your car privately, never have your car sell and the purchase of a new car in the same transaction. They should be dealt with as separate transactions...it just gives the dealer another angle to bend you over on when trading in your car.

Oh and test drives, F that dude. I test drove all my cars before buying them...you CAN test-drive if you're serious about the purchase. Forget what those a$$hat dealers tell you. Good luck! :nice:

P.S. Do not make an emotional purchase...and the whole time preasure sales tactic, don't give in. As long as you still have you're money, you still control the deal. There will be other Cobras out there, and always a better deal around the corner.

tfritz said:
If you have the time sell your car privately, never have your car sell and the purchase of a new car in the same transaction. They should be dealt with as separate transactions...it just gives the dealer another angle to bend you over on when trading in your car.

Oh and test drives, F that dude. I test drove all my cars before buying them...you CAN test-drive if you're serious about the purchase. Forget what those a$$hat dealers tell you. Good luck! :nice:

P.S. Do not make an emotional purchase...and the whole time preasure sales tactic, don't give in. As long as you still have you're money, you still control the deal. There will be other Cobras out there, and always a better deal around the corner.

The dealer keeps calling me offering a lower price and a test drive because I did not purchase the car last week.