Looking to buy my first Fox

Hi Guys, I used to be on here a bunch years ago when I had a 98 V6 Stang. Was gone long enough that it appears my old account was purged. Anyway, I am currently looking to buy a Fox 5.0 and was hoping to get some advice on things to look out for. There is one I have my eye on at a dealer a couple hours away that I am hoping to look at in about 2 weeks that is an 89 GT convertible that appears to be in flawless condition both inside and out with 71k miles. I am looking for an AT, mainly to keep the wife happy so she can drive it too, and the convertible top is a huge selling point for her. I think I would prefer to start with something fairly stock and then maybe add a couple of upgrades here and there. Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

I guess the biggest thing I could recommend is just to make sure it is a solid foundation. Check the areas underneath the doors, under the wing on the hatch (if it has one), the fender lips, and the rear quarters, and especially underneath the car for rust. Oh yea, the shock towers too. Just make sure you make a really careful inspection of everything. A good flashlight is a must to inspect some of the areas, as good lighting can show things you wouldn't see normally.

Also check out the alignment of the fenders to the doors and hood, and when you open the hood look at the radiator support areas for slight imperfections, as that can suggest the vehicle has been hit. Carfax is also a good idea, altho sometimes it doesn't show things that a previous owner has fixed themselves.

Also keep in mind you're probably going to pay slightly more from a dealership than a private seller. Be sure to ask the vehicles history as in how it was treated, who owned it etc. Even if you don't get a straight answer, it never hurts to ask... Ask lots and lots of questions, even if they sound trivial.

get a clean stock Fox but get a 5 speed teach her how to shift:nice:

I tried teaching her on my V6 stang which we took on our honeymoon. The next day, I kid you not, it was grinding between 4 and 5th gear. Of course I went over the warranty covered mileage during that trip. I am still holding out hope for a 5sp. I would have no problem attempting to teach her again with my Scion!

Kpack - I had not thought to bring a flashlight.. that's solid. A buddy of mine with a fox body told me to check the strut tower area and a couple of the others you mentioned, but your list is definitely more comprehensive. I will certainly give it a full look over.

I agree about the dealer pricing being potentially higher. The one I really want to check out is listing at $7975 and seriously looks showroom new, even under the hood. It's obscenely clean, but of course that is just via pics on the internet and not in person inspection. Assuming everything checks out, does that seem reasonably priced for a 71k mile convertible GT that is still stock?

I'd checkout craigslist as well. If you get budgeted number from the wifey, have that money on standbye for when a good deal surfaces.

I wouldn't pay more than 6 out the door for the car you speak of.

i have the car for you.. if your ever in MI
69k just about all stock , im thinking about selling/trading for a stick/hard top IDK

MUSTANG009.jpg

MUSTANG008.jpg

MUSTANG012.jpg

MUSTANG011.jpg

I agree with Notchbck93. I wouldn't personally spend over 6k for that car. But to each their own. Price is relative. If you personally think it's worth it, then go for it. But as was mentioned, there's new things on craigslist every day, and good deals spring up all the time. Just be patient and give yourself plenty of time to think about your purchase.

Good luck with the search and future purchase!

Hi Guys, I used to be on here a bunch years ago when I had a 98 V6 Stang. Was gone long enough that it appears my old account was purged. Anyway, I am currently looking to buy a Fox 5.0 and was hoping to get some advice on things to look out for. There is one I have my eye on at a dealer a couple hours away that I am hoping to look at in about 2 weeks that is an 89 GT convertible that appears to be in flawless condition both inside and out with 71k miles. I am looking for an AT, mainly to keep the wife happy so she can drive it too, and the convertible top is a huge selling point for her. I think I would prefer to start with something fairly stock and then maybe add a couple of upgrades here and there. Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated!

I have a 89 lx 5.0 AT convertible that is a bone stock, 140k miles. body is great (0 rust, NM is dryyy), new top, clean interior, paints faded though. Engine rebuild about 30k ago. My girlfriend is using it as a daily driver with a long highway commute so we are looking to get her something safer and economical. Anyone in the SW welcome to scoop it up! It is running great and I even almost bought some bolt-ons for it for fun but I think Its worth more stock.

6 or 7k for a high mileage stang makes me cringe a lil but I guess its worth it if you love it. I see a ton of hatches barely running selling for $3k

Good luck with the search!