looking to ditch the underdrive alt pulley

aar0s

Founding Member
Dec 20, 1998
The warm idle low charging, even with the 130 amp, is starting to bug me. Someone told me one time where to find the pulley on the aftermarket but i cant remember, not sure where mine went to (or my wiper arms for that matter) anyone have one laying around or know where i can find one?

• Sponsors (?)

Can't really help you with where to find one, but make sure that the pulley you have now is actually a different diameter than a stock one. I know some under drive kits actually only reduce the size of the crank pulley, and the alt pulley stays the same size.

Soo the aftermarket alt pulley gives you better charge at idle!? And p.s ya I would try craiglist good chance if finding the whole kit for real cheap! I got mine for 30 buks for the whole water,crank, and alt! I gave my alt pulley to my brother cuz I thought it would burn out the alt.. Well now I have a 130 and was thinking about the pulley..

Soo the aftermarket alt pulley gives you better charge at idle!? And p.s ya I would try craiglist good chance if finding the whole kit for real cheap! I got mine for 30 buks for the whole water,crank, and alt! I gave my alt pulley to my brother cuz I thought it would burn out the alt.. Well now I have a 130 and was thinking about the pulley..

no the underdrive pulley wont charge at warm idle, cold idle it does fine but after the car warms up and idle drops to 650 or so it wont charge. I remember seeing somewhere that sold a stock type pulley but cant remember where it was.

Ive got my stock pulley around here some where, probably with the wiper arms i cant find:mad:

Well the stock alternator pulley will spin the alternator faster even with the U/D crank pulley. But fast enough? Depends, it's worth a shot.

I have U/D's and I am thinking of at least putting my stock crank pulley on there or just doing the stock alternator pulley. I deleted the A/C and P/S so there really isn't much bennifit to them anymore, except poor charging.