Looking To Go Efi, Got Some Questions....

• Sponsors (?)

I am very partial to anything megasquirt..... you can do just fuel or fuel and spark. all it needs is a ECT sensor and TPS for the most basic setups. Or just ECT and MAP. both need a tach input.

easiest way would be a TBI setup from anything that will bolt onto the carb pad OR do an efi intake swap with all the lines..

the MS system is simple if bought pre assembled and can use any sensors you give it. if it were me I would try to get a MAP TPS ECT and IAT on the car this will give full control.

here is a link
https://www.diyautotune.com/shop/megasquirt-assembled/megasquirt-2-megasquirt-assembled/

that is for an MS 2 but a ms1 will work just as well for basic setups and only cost 269$ then of course you need wiring harnesses and what not but that's a given.

For functionality check out our thread here.
http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/steves-megasquirt-tunerstudio-help-thread.888730/

Let me know what you want to do parts wise if you go this route so you only have to buy something once.

A TBI is a fuel injected throttle body looks almost just like a carburetor. The aftermarket fast and Holly sniper systems utilize a TBI and then they have their own proprietary tuning software it'll go along with it. You can take a megasquirt system and fuel inject anything from a 1 cylinder 2 stroke 2 how many cylinders do you want. With the system I showed you you can run any TBI or combination thereof except it's a whole lot cheaper

The MS system can run anything..... that's the point of there systems. If you want a brand x system then by all means by the Fast system or an EZefi setup.

If you wanted to get a TBI from an early fox era ford and make that work or even a GM style TBI then I can help you make that happen. there are other options as well...

are you trying to keep the stock intake?

I have an edelbrock intake and 1406 carb. I was looking at the sniper EFI TBI, but its not ford friendly without the kick down cable, but with the monster tans Im running I may just be able to make that work. at 1400 for the entire kit its perfect.

I have an edelbrock intake and 1406 carb. I was looking at the sniper EFI TBI, but its not ford friendly without the kick down cable, but with the monster tans Im running I may just be able to make that work. at 1400 for the entire kit its perfect.
That's a good price for a simple bolt on application. I'm sure you can rig up a cable for the kick down if that's the only thing holding you back. Lokar makes universal cables you can checkout on summit.

all it [MegaSquirt] is is the management system for an older model. why would i use it with a TBI with its own management system, like the sniper?

You wouldn't. You got vague answers to a vague question. That's how it works. What's the best "fit?" Fit how? Physically, visually, conceptually, functionally?

Anyway, there are numerous drop-in self-contained Holley 4150-esque EFI systems now. The Holley Sniper you already know about, FAST EZ-EFI, FiTech is a new one, and I think Professional Products(yuck) has one. I don't do automatics, but if your AOD is a mechanical one and it probably is, then getting it to interface with any of those is a matter of linkage connections.

MegaSquirt systems can do a lot, especially for the price but I don't recommend them for beginners with enough budget for something more user-friendly, especially if good manufacturer tech support is an option. MegaSquirt is mostly community-supported and the documentation can suffer at times and that makes the learning cure steep, so I don't care for that aspect of it. It is also a separate ECU that will require a big hole and a wiring harness going through the firewall. They also have a really hokey DB-37 computer connector; not even remotely automotive grade. It works, but again they're (usually) cheap and that's one place it shows. I have one in the Pinto. I'm going to put one in the Mustang eventually, but I'll probably add a provision to allow using a more robust ECU down the line.

You wouldn't. You got vague answers to a vague question. That's how it works. What's the best "fit?" Fit how? Physically, visually, conceptually, functionally?

Anyway, there are numerous drop-in self-contained Holley 4150-esque EFI systems now. The Holley Sniper you already know about, FAST EZ-EFI, FiTech is a new one, and I think Professional Products(yuck) has one. I don't do automatics, but if your AOD is a mechanical one and it probably is, then getting it to interface with any of those is a matter of linkage connections.

MegaSquirt systems can do a lot, especially for the price but I don't recommend them for beginners with enough budget for something more user-friendly, especially if good manufacturer tech support is an option. MegaSquirt is mostly community-supported and the documentation can suffer at times and that makes the learning cure steep, so I don't care for that aspect of it. It is also a separate ECU that will require a big hole and a wiring harness going through the firewall. They also have a really hokey DB-37 computer connector; not even remotely automotive grade. It works, but again they're (usually) cheap and that's one place it shows. I have one in the Pinto. I'm going to put one in the Mustang eventually, but I'll probably add a provision to allow using a more robust ECU down the line.
If all you are using it for is fuel and spark then the microsquirt is the way to go. has a waterproof case and connector. it also has provisions for a few relay outputs and inputs. I'm a big MS user and the interface is not that difficult to use every option has a description along with it and a link directly to the documentation. I went from never tuning before to driving my MS tuned car in about 2 hours.

Reactions: 1 user
The user interface (TunerStudio MS) isn't what I referred to as having a steep learning curve; the hardware has a steep learning curve. Want to add boost control? Have to build a circuit for that. Want to control a Ford PWM idle valve? Gotta wire-in a beefy transistor for that. Add a clutch switch? Build a circuit. Table switching? Build a circuit, etc.

I didn't argue that there weren't more user-friendly versions either. They do exist. However, they are intended for production vehicles that already have OEM fuel injection and they cost a lot more. The MicroSquirt doesn't even have an onboard MAP sensor. It's not mandatory to have and a remote one can be used, but its absence totally limits the user to a TPS-based load strategy that is not ideal.

The user interface (TunerStudio MS) isn't what I referred to as having a steep learning curve; the hardware has a steep learning curve. Want to add boost control? Have to build a circuit for that. Want to control a Ford PWM idle valve? Gotta wire-in a beefy transistor for that. Add a clutch switch? Build a circuit. Table switching? Build a circuit, etc.

I didn't argue that there weren't more user-friendly versions either. They do exist. However, they are intended for production vehicles that already have OEM fuel injection and they cost a lot more. The MicroSquirt doesn't even have an onboard MAP sensor. It's not mandatory to have and a remote one can be used, but its absence totally limits the user to a TPS-based load strategy that is not ideal.
I won't argue with you there. But it's nice that you can build any circuit you want for whatever needs you have. Taking a single wire to the micro squirt is no big deal, in fact I use 2 map sensors one in my case and one on the firewall (bap)....
Tps based control actually works very well as long as your not boosted. ITB are way easier to tune this way.

MSD Atomic, Holley Terminator, FAST EZ-EFI all bolt on in place of the carbutetor and require no tuning.

I have the MSD Atomic on my car, but with Holley having bought out MSD (pretty sure they'll be dialing back support, Holley doesn't need a 5th EFI on the market at the same price point as their biggest seller) combined with some of the little hiccups its had, and the fact that it still has cold start issues like a carburetor (I paid $2100 to still have to give it gas to stay running on a cold morning!) I wouldn't recommend it.

Im running a 1406 edelbrock at the moment so Ill need a TBI system. The MS is not a viable option.

MS is an option to replace a carburetor, there are throttle bodies, adapters, and spacers that bolt to square-bore manifolds. Honestly, if you have an Edelbrock 1406 though, I don't see why you're wanting to change, it's the next best thing to EFI and a hell of a lot cheaper.

Last edited:
I'm admittedly an OEM guy. That being said, I've swapped a few OEM MFI systems into older cars and can say that if you have good installation skills, OEM will be more reliable than any aftermarket TBI system. The drawbacks are hood clearance issues, and air intakes which get clunky looking when running a mass air system. I did do an AC Cobra kit car once where the guy had drilled and port injected an Edelbrock performer manifold. don't remember what he used for throttle control. I just wired the system.

Just throwing this in because you guys seem to know the answers. I'm using a 5.0 out of a 90 thunderbird and I would like to find a wiring harness to use the OEM efi system.could you steer me in the right direction? My car is a 65 fastback. Thanks