Looking to install Long Tube Headers. Need advice on install and if its as hard as it sounds.

I have a '89 vert, 5 speed. I am looking to install BBK long tube headers and off road x pipe. And had a few questions from the people who have been though this. I was picking long tubes becuase I hear they perform and sound better. The car is not a daily driver either.

How hard is the install? Tips and tricks?
What other parts should I get stage 8 locking header bolts? Do I need oxygen sensor extensions?
Another brand of long tubes?

Thanks in advance for any advice and help.

• Sponsors (?)

It took me less than two hours taking my time, and half of that was removing and reinstalling my blower... It's not hard on a 5.0 at all..

Best Advice.. Unbolt the motor mounts and jack the engine up as high as it will go.. Passenger side header goes in from below.. Drivers side goes in from above if I remember correctly.. I also unbolted the steering shaft in the beginning.

Fairly easy...like anything else depends on ur mechanical skills! The only part thats given me trouble is getting around the steering shaft... I use the stage 8 myself and have no issues like ordinary bolts backing out...I also use 02 extensions bc the factory harness is too short to meet the collectors...The bbk's arnt bad headers at all, they have good thick flanges...the ceramics are the best, the chromes will "blue", its jus up to u how clean u want ur engine compartment

I thought the BBK long tubes were easier to put on than the equal length shorties I had before (the kooks long tubes I have now were a royal pain). I second the comment on the ceramic coating, which also helps if you intend to drive in cold weather with the O2 sensors, heating them up quicker. I rerouted the factory O2 wires, and did not require the extenders.

If its a 302, piece of cake.. driver side slipped right in from the top.. no steering shaft removal needed. As for the passenger side, jack the motor up like mentioned and slide it right down. I had bbk longtubes on my 89 and they are so easy compared to a 351..

The install wasn't that bad actually. Took me a little over an hour of solid work. Loosened the nuts for the motor, lifted it with a jack from the oil pan, disconnected the steering shaft and they dropped right in. The part that actually took me all day was that I had to install them and remove them about 4 times having to hammer them more to clear the steering shaft. I had MAC long tubes that were supposed to go on a 94-95GT. I cant say that you will need to do that, I guess it depends what headers you get. You may be able to re route the wires like mentioned before, you can also get an alternate fit 02 sensor from advance auto parts with longer wires for pretty cheap, that's what I did.