Looking to purchase. Could use some advice.

dinger2

Nov 1, 2004
Hey all, I've been a lurker for some time, and the time has finally come to pull the trigger. I figured where best to ask for some advice then this place. First of all the car is a 1966 2d GT coupe 4sp with rally pack. It is supposedly a true factory GT, but I won't know for certain until I have the car inspected. Just wanted to get a few opinions on the vehicle before purchasing. I have some photos set up at:

http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h223/dinger928/

I know, photos can only say so much, but what the heck, there they are. The car has supposedly been "restored", as well as engine rebuild, clutch, brakes, etc...

As far as pricing goes, I know the vehicles are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them, but what is a good price for something like this. The current owner is asking in the 17's, which to me seems high, but when looking at what other vehicles have sold for via ebay, hemmings, auctions, etc... it seems like its in the ballpark....

Thanks for any and all info you care to comment on....

TIA

• Sponsors (?)

The car looks like it was done nicely, but $17k for a coupe is too much unless it has some specific features or enhancements that make it more valuable. If it is a real GT, that would drive the price up, but not sure it's worth $17k. Is the engine and drivetrain original to the car? If this were a fastback, it would be a good value. This is just one man's opinion...

Like jcode68 said, this is a coupe and resale for coupes isn't as good.

As for the GT, it looks like this guy tore the car apart and restored it. Faking the GT is real easy when it is that far apart. You will want to pull the numbers off of the engine (behind the starter) (as well as making sure all engine parts are matching), the trans, the diff, the steering box and check the car for the correct dual exhuast hangers/frame mounts (it doesn't look like the back seat had them in the pic, but it is hard to tell). Than make sure all of these parts match the car/a GT car. Remember, those door plates and buck tags can be faked.

In my optinion, if this car is completely stock, all parts/numbers matching, that price is ok. If it isn't, I think that is too much for non-special modded coupe GT.