Looking To Upgrade My Ignition System And Engine Management

reeber

10 Year Member
Mar 10, 2004
Berlin, NJ
Currently have the following and have to gap my plugs at .032 (To prevent blow out):

Fully built (VT Engines) forged block with 16cc dished Diamond Pistons, Eagle Crank and Rod... HP Stage 2 cam... Vortech SQ Trim with 2.80 pulley (17lbs max boost). 60lb injectors, etc... Pushes close to 500HP and 466ft/lb torque to the wheels.

I'd like to get an engine management system now and upgrade the ignition. Any ideas on where to start? I've just jumped back into this build after a long layoff. So, my research has to start over...

• Sponsors (?)

So are you edis or cop?

Is this a street car? If so does it need to pass emissions testing?

Finally what kind of budget and how much effort are you willing to put forth into the tuning if your car? Looking to keep abs traction control ect?

This will be a weekend show car.. abs has already been disconnected... I don’t hat Cats, so emissions isn’t an issue either.

If it makes sense, budget can be significant. Looking to eventually have this as a magazine car.

Don’t know what edis, or cop is? If it’s coil over plugs, I have the stock coil packs.

I do have 2 custom dump tunes (diablo and SCT)

It’s a manual transmission (TKOII)

Last edited:
Ok major contenders will include Holley and Mega squirt 3

Edis has 2 coil packs that fire in wasted spark configuration and plug wires.
By your response this is what you have.

If it were me and I had an unlimited budget I would do an ms3xpro setup (megasquirt3) and either a cop conversion or cnp (coil near plug Ls style)
I however am partial to Mega squirt because I am very familiar with it. If you have never done any tuning with a standalone your going to need help.

I don't have much experience with the Holley system but luckily I know a guy that does. @tannerc91gt has had success with his.

Having used both (not remotely to the extend that he has, I prefer the Holley system.
Either will do what you’re after without issue.
Download Tuner Studios and the Holley software and see which one feels right.

Either way, I’d go CNP.
LS related parts are cheap, and using aftermarket EFI should make the changeover pretty easy too. And a set of stock truck coils will support more power than you’re ever likely to make