Looks like the car will be getting put on hold again

MysteryMachine

Jun 21, 2003
Parkesburg, PA
Well I noticed the rear of my truck was leaking. I figured it was the pinion seal. Had it in the shop yesterday to have the pinion seal replaced and was given some bad news. Turns out there is a 1/2" of play in my pinion and the rear needs rebuilt. I was given one estimite of 6-700 just for bearings and if the ring and pinion needs replaced double that. I won't be going there thats for sure. I called another place this morning and they wanna take a look at it tomorrow. I thought the guy was suppose to call me back today but hasn't yet so maybe i miss understood him. I don't even know whats all messed up in there. I'm going on vacation in about 8 1/2 weeks so i need the truck done asap. Looks like I'm gonna have to use the stang money once again to fix the damn Ram. On a happier note for the ram I got the header leak fixed. Put some remflex gaskets on it with stage 8 locking header bolts. Painted them up while I was at it too.

heres a few pics and vid

Heres how the gasket looked when I took them off
DSC03490.jpg

Heres how they looked when removed haven't had them on that long either
DSC03508.jpg

Heres how they look after painted and reinstall
DSC03514.jpg

DSC03518.jpg

DSC03517.jpg

DSC03516.jpg

DSC03515.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL4GfiOkmXY

• Sponsors (?)

how were the remflex gaskets? i was thinking about getting them but then just got solid copper ones. i put those the header bolts on too. really great except for when a black hole opened up in my engine bay and swallowed one of the washers....:nonono:

how were the remflex gaskets? i was thinking about getting them but then just got solid copper ones. i put those the header bolts on too. really great except for when a black hole opened up in my engine bay and swallowed one of the washers....:nonono:

ask me when I can actually drive the thing lol. I put them on and the truck has sat. I drove it one day for a total of about 4 miles. Everybody on dodgeforum that has them swears by them though

You might want to consider just swapping the whole rear-end with a good one from a JY. If you can find one, they're generally cheap and require no special knowledge (setting up r&p) to swap. You could prolly do it in less than an afternoon.

It's funny how much like the 'Stang that Ram looks, under the hood.

if your reffering the the whole axle that's still a possibility. Gonna talk to the guy tommorrow and see what he says. If he wants to take the cover off and look inside I'm gonna be like hold on now what you gonna charge me for that. He seemed like a good guy on the phone so we'll see

My bud just had the rear in hsi ram go south too... only his completely fragged inside under normal driving... I guess he had a slow leak that drained enough fluid... DOH...

I would look into a JY axle...

I thought about that and once again I came to my not liking jy parts conclusion.

My thoughts

I go buy a jy part spend 300 bucks on it throw it on and bang same thing happens so I would have to either A) buy another one or B) have one rebuilt anyway

Its just as easy to have mine rebuilt with better parts if need be and not have to worry about a jy one craping out on me.

Also mine has disc breaks in the back not sure how normal that is from my understanding after reading on dodgeforum thats not a usual thing to have. So swaping out a whole axle could turn into a real pain in the ass

Wow man, the dodge has a mean sound to it :nice: I always loved the sound of a Dodge V8.
Hopefully it won't cost you an arm and a leg to get it back on the road... I hate unexpected expensive repairs... like the ones I have now to have the 'stang safety inspected...

Heard from the shop yesterday. Turns out the differential went out. A known Dodge issue that the c clips or something break off it the differential and causes issues. He said the ring and pinion weren't too bad but I'm having he replace them anyway. Why? you may ask. Because he said if I have them replaced as well he will guarantee everything for a year. If i don't replace them I'm on my own if something breaks I'll pay the 212 bucks for a new gear set for that peace of mind.

So it will be getting a Eaton posi/lsd unit installed. I had 4 options A Detroit true trac, Eaton, Stock replacement, or Detroit locker. Right off the bat the locker and the factory unit was off the list. I don't off road much and I tow so the locker is a no no and with the factory one I could be doing this again. The shop recommended the Eaton and my inspection guy did as well. It was the cheaper of the aftermarket units at $600.

I am also having a chrome differential cover put on while its there. Figured all this money going into it I'll make it look cool too ha ha.

I figure I'll be looking closer to 1600 now. Well between 1500-1600 I was thinking about 1500 before

450 labor
600 Eaton
187 bearings
212 ring & pinion
40 fluids
30 cover

Beings he said the ring and pinion weren't too bad I asked for them back. He said I could have everything back. I might be able to sell the gears if they ain't too bad. Get a little back outta them maybe