Loosen Your Shift Knob

• Sponsors (?)

my shifter finds gears for me, I think that by loosening the nob I would have less control over the car. as it is now, just pushing the shifter gently automatically will send it to 3rd on the 2-3 shift. Maybe someone else will like this but I think it would make WOT shifts a nightmare

speedfreak98r said:
It does take some getting used to, and some concentration. What kind of shifter do you have? I have a Tri-Ax, and i've adjusted it every which way possible..Still not easy enough to hit 3rd hard..Thinking about MGW.

I have the MGW w/ the old sport blue handle. its springloaded so i pretty much have to try to miss 3rd

???? Are you fun'n me?? :D If it's loose when you power/speed shift your hand would rotate and just about break your wrist I'd think. :eek:
I've always had to have the knob tight on any shifter so I would get a good solid shift. Pro5.0 being used here BTW.

MGW huh...Hmm..Is my Tri-Ax spring loaded? Sorry, just never given much thought to such a simple item. Anyway, thats why you need a firm grip. As long as you're pushing it in the general direction of the wanted gear, the looseness helps it find it's way into the slot.

speedfreak98r said:
MGW huh...Hmm..Is my Tri-Ax spring loaded? Sorry, just never given much thought to such a simple item. Anyway, thats why you need a firm grip. As long as you're pushing it in the general direction of the wanted gear, the looseness helps it find it's way into the slot.

pretty much every aftermarket shifter is springloaded to aid the 2-3 shift. From what I know, the Pro 5.0 and MGW shifters are the best for finding 3rd, some will say the Tri-ax is better than both of those but if you need to loosen your shift knob to hit gears then I think something is seriously wrong with the mechanism. I've never heard of anyone else doing this before, if I had it my way my shift knob would be welded onto my shifter :nice:

I've got the tri-ax and with the stock shift knob, I would actually tighten it to where when i'm in 2nd gear, the knob is pointed toward 3rd gear. It wasn't even enough of a difference to visually see that it was turned but I could definately feel a difference when I shifted :nice:

svttech76 said:
Ok he was just offering up somthing that he tried and likes. I think he should try a differnt sytle shift knob but there is no need to jump all over him for this.

I just don't understand how making your shift knob loose could possibly help. I've been shifting before and slammed it to third and had the knob spin on me .. it sucks! If the knob was loose, seems to me like a knuckle buster. no?

I'm not saying that in a mean way, I seriously don't understand what he's saying to do and how it is helpful to him.