Loss Of Coolant Without Any Leaks

DoneBrokeit

Jul 14, 2017
FNG here with a new to me 1996 Cobra SVT with about 150K miles on the clock. The car is burning coolant (head gasket 99% sure) every time I take the car out the "low" coolant" light will come on and sure enough the coolant tank is almost empty, no coolant is seen on the ground and no smoke from the tail pipes. Now I do have two question, the cooling fan seems to run rather often (normal), and do these car have an issue with the cluster as I think the coolant gauge is inop.

I have looked the job over and it is involved but not that hard. With that said since I will have the heads off what else should I do "while I am in there" as the car is not in the rotation and I have time to full around with it.

Thanks, Paul

• Sponsors (?)

What have you done to verify head gasket problem? Pulled the plugs for inspection and run a compression/leak down test? It may not be hard but definitely a lot of work and expense. Replace the timing chain and tensioners and any bad or questionable guides/gears. I would also replace all of the coolant hoses thermostat and check closely your vacuum hosing that after 150k/21 years. Inspect your harmonic balancer for degradation of the rubber sandwich. Clean your MAF Sensor and just take your time checking out all of that spaghetti etc under the hood for fraying, heat hardening etc.

If this were my car I would double check there really is a head gasket leak before tearing into it. Confirm with:
  • Cylinder compression test
  • Cylinder leak down test
  • Test coolant for hydro-carbons
Why? Because it's also possible to leak coolant into the intake via a leaking intake manifold gasket. This can be confirmed by a spark plug inspection.

Just from my experience knowing what I know now. I doubt that I would perform a head job "in vehicle" choosing instead to pull the motor and do the work on the engine stand. Why?
  • It really not that hard to pull the motor on a Mustang
  • the access is soooooooo much better on the engine stand. Work will proceed much faster.
  • will be able to reach all parts of the motor to perform a good inspection. Top and bottom ends.
  • Possible to perform other work at the same time (Seals and such).
  • IF there are other "issues" and more work is needed the motor is already out anyway.

The reason I "think" the head gasket is at fault is because the car runs great with no misfires and I have seen a number of other cars do the same thing they just keep using coolant with no external leak, but hearing about the intake gasket gives me pause. As for the other test I am planning to perform them early next week, but I think they will come back in range.

Thanks for the input.