loss of power after H/C/I install. need help

ShortThrow50

Oct 22, 2006
Pa
Installed trick flow H/C/I.I did ALL supporting mods. 76maf calibrated to 24 pounders, 24 pound injectors, 70mm tb and egr. 190 fuel pump, regulator and gauge. 3924 autolite plugs new cap and rotors etc etc. Everything you could think of. I timed the car 10 degrees.
The car feels close to the stock 200 hp. I cant even spin the wheels from a 5 mph rolling start in first with 3;73's. It doesnt buck or pop or anything. Somethings wrong. What could it be. Its missing about 130 hp lol. Sounds good at idle and no unusual noises. Heres a video i took last night of the exhaust.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/67f254db-19a9-46a4-a955-99420163a48f.htm
All show and no go. Help me out guys
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I would try a bit more timing first. Maybe go to 14* and play with that at your fuel pressure.

Thanks for the reply, i will try that. I was serious though that it is real real low on power. Will those 2 things u suggested make that much difference?
Thanks
edit. I have my fuel pressure set to 40 psi with vacuum disconnected

I know some people on here run an easy 16*. I would think 40 psi should be a good start on fuel. I am not saying by any means that this is going to solve problems but it is a good place to start. I would also look into a dyno tune. I would not want to spend $2300 on a top end kit and not spend the extra to make it run the way it should.

start with basics first. What firing order did you wire it for? When adjusting timing did you have spout connector out?

When i put the dizzy in, I put the #1 piston at tdc on compression stroke and put the rotor at 12 oclock. Yeah, i took the spout out. Are you thinking maybe I didnt put the engine at tdc and dizzy in right? SHould i redo the whole procedure to be sure? Id rather not but if thats what it sounds like, ill do it. Im not thinking that by bumping the timing up that im gonna get all the missing poer im lacking.

Well like 86bluecobra said look at the little things first. Could be a combo of all the things said so far. I am not saying this is going to give you the 130hp you are after but picking up 40 ft lbs of torque makes a hell of a difference on the street. check over all the ign connections. Check firing order. make sure all components are clean and connected properly. Did you degree the cam and or make sure it was straight up at least? Make a few adjustments to the timing and fuel pressure and go from there.

does it pick up and go faster as the rpm increase, from what you have said so far i doubt it does but if it did you could just be losing the low end, with bigger valves, cam and intake it will actually be sluggish down low and you have to get the rpms up to make power.

ok, i went out and bumped timing to 15 degrees and it ran worse. Just for *****s sake I tried to bump it over that and it wont because the thermostat housing is in the way. The dizzy connection hits the housing at around 19. That doesnt sound normal right? Look at the picture below. That is the positon its at after i just bumped it to 15 degrees.

View attachment 382787

thanks

Sorry to hear about your problems Carmen.....give Lou (RedfireBeast) or Jason (trbovnm) the guy doing the work on my car a PM and ask them both what they think....as a matter of fact PM Mike (Fishtail) and ask him, that gut really knows his stuff, tell him I asked you to get in touch, he will steer you in the right direction. Let me know how you make out. All those guys are on SVT, you can find them in the MACA forum. Wish I could help you out but I am clueless.:shrug:

No that does not look right. I do suspect you stabbed the dizzy one or 2 teeth out. You need to re find tdc on #1 compression stroke and restab the dizzy. Remember the rotor should be pointing at 1 o'clock when you stab it in.

Sorry to hear about your problems Carmen.....give Lou (RedfireBeast) or Jason (trbovnm) the guy doing the work on my car a PM and ask them both what they think....as a matter of fact PM Mike (Fishtail) and ask him, that gut really knows his stuff, tell him I asked you to get in touch, he will steer you in the right direction. Let me know how you make out. All those guys are on SVT, you can find them in the MACA forum. Wish I could help you out but I am clueless.:shrug:

thanks mike,
iam going to try what 86blue cobra said to do and then if that doesnt work. Ill have to shoot one of your guys a pm

My car did the same thing after H/C/I. It ran poorly and I messed with timing and fuel pressure to no avail. A couple days later when I was checking the timing I noticed one of the injectors was unplugged. I plugged it in and it ran great. I never thought the car had a miss because I had a different cam and it loped a little, but I thought the loping was just the cam. It was actually running on 7 cylinders. Do a cylinder drop test and and verify all cylinders are contributing to the engines power. Just a thought. Good luck:D

You can put the distributor in at any position as long as the rotor as pointing to the #1 cyl. Just limits your room to bump up the timing like in your situation...

I also installed the same kit. The stage 1 cam and this kit are designed for the 2,000-6,500 range. Hammer it above 3500 rpm and let us know of your progress...

You can put the distributor in at any position as long as the rotor as pointing to the #1 cyl. Just limits your room to bump up the timing like in your situation...

I also installed the same kit. The stage 1 cam and this kit are designed for the 2,000-6,500 range. Hammer it above 3500 rpm and let us know of your progress...

it falls on its face if i do that

Do a cylinder drop test and and verify all cylinders are contributing to the engines power. Just a thought. Good luck:D
How do i do this?

it falls on its face if i do that

How do i do this?[/QUOTE

While the engine is running remove one spark plug wire from the spark plug. The engine should stumble and lose rpm. If the rpm does not drop then that cylinder is not contributing. Do this to each cylinder. This will allow you to isolate exactly what cylinder is causing your miss. :nice:

By the way, be careful you don't get zapped. I would suggest insulated spark plug pliers.