lost a rib on the serpentine belt

spederman

Apr 13, 2005
I was driving today and hit boost in 2nd gear. As soon as i got to redline, i hear a wierd sound and start hearing a repetetive ticking. I thought i blew my engine. Luckily i was only a few blocks from home. I pulled in the driveway and the sound bouncing off the house was a loud ticking/knocking. I get out and pop the hood and notice that one of the ribs on my belt is schredding off. So i cut off all of that one shredded rib that i could. I looked at the belt size and the belt that i got with my setup wasnt the right size at all, it was way too big. I think it streched out way too much and is got really loose. I can yank on the belt and it streches a LOT. Its not tight at all like it was before. So my shop is going to put on the right size belt saturday. Question, Can i drive it the way it is, missing a rib and a really loose and strechy belt? If I keep the revs under 2K and drive like a granny, think it will make it a few miles without throwing the belt?

• Sponsors (?)

Check to make sure the spacer washer is in the correect location on the vortech bracket. Also make sure the tensioner is still OK. My tensioner would bounce around a lot so I replaced it with the new belt.