Loud at highway speeds

DesertKnight

Dec 26, 2006
Hi, all. I've got an issue that I'm hoping someone can help with.

My '98 5-speed runs great--purrs like a kitten, no rattles, bangs, or other odd noises...except at highway speeds. Then it's louder than any vehicle I've ever driven. It *sounds* normal...just loud. There are no whines or any other unusual noises, and the loudness comes from all around--it's not localized to front, back, or either side. The car does not run hot, nor does it act like it's under load or lagging. It still accelerates fine.

I know that my tires are getting a bit worn, but they still pass the penny test. I'm wondering if the problem might be the exhaust or the transmission, but it just passed an emissions test, and the tranny has never given me any problems.

I'm stumped. Any suggestions on what this might be?

Thanks for your help.

• Sponsors (?)

Mustangs have always been louder than other cars. They're marketed as performance cars, and the Sixers are among Ford's line of affordable beginner cars. Thus, they don't have as much soundproofing as fancier cars.

If you're getting engine and/or exhaust sound at highway speeds, you can try adding Dynamat under the hood and on the floorpans to absorb it. If it sounds more like tire noise, try getting a can of rubberized undercoating and spray the insides of your wheelwells. Those are things that more expensive cars already have, and would help a lot in quieting the car down.

Mustangs have always been louder than other cars. They're marketed as performance cars, and the Sixers are among Ford's line of affordable beginner cars. Thus, they don't have as much soundproofing as fancier cars.

If you're getting engine and/or exhaust sound at highway speeds, you can try adding Dynamat under the hood and on the floorpans to absorb it. If it sounds more like tire noise, try getting a can of rubberized undercoating and spray the insides of your wheelwells. Those are things that more expensive cars already have, and would help a lot in quieting the car down.

I've looked at Dynamat, but I need the car pretty much every day, and I don't think I'd be able to strip down the interior to install the system and get it back together in a timely manner. I haven't heard of rubberized undercoating before--is there a particular brand or type that's best, or are they all pretty much the same? And how many cans would I need?

Thanks for the info!

Duplicolor premium Undercoat.The cheaper priced stuff will work but doesn't hold up as well.Ive re coated my wheel wells several times over the years because the stuff wears off fast from cleaning.The last time I used spray on truck bed coating.Thats the spray on bedliner stuff.It's more expensive ($10 per can) but doesn't wear off like the undercoating does.They all work just as well,it's just the matter of re-spraying every couple of years...no big deal for $4 a can.Just spray some degreaser inside the wheel well above the back tires.Scrub it and rinse off.After it dries out,spray in undercoating.Make sure you evenly spray,wait 10 minutes before spraying again.Best to do when you're done with the car for the day that way it can dry out.Oh and make sure you put masking tape on the very edge and around the corner of the outside.You don't want that on your paint.

If you could answer,exactly what kind of tires do you have on your stang? I mean,what brand and style? Does the tread feel rough sliding your hand over front to back? Just ruling your tires out as general noise issues.