Loud Squeak/Creak

1997GTJF

Jan 24, 2009
Ever since i've had my 71 i've had an annoyingly loud creak/squeak that is coming from the front left driver's side shock tower area, it doesn't really happen when going over speed bumps, it happens more at slow speeds when braking or accelerating and when going over smaller bumps, it's loud enough that it's almost embarrassing going through town, also when I rock the car up and down from the outside the noise happens, I can get the noise the most when pushing the car down then when it's on it's way up the creak/squeak is there if that makes sense, i've greased the nipples on the front suspension and also sprayed the area with maintenance spray but the noise is still there, the weird thing is it only appears after a lot of use, for example, if I get the car out for the weekend the noise would not be there on the Saturday, but after constant use the noise will start to appear on the Sunday, not sure why? With the hood open the noise seems to be coming the most from the top of the shock tower, any ideas?

View attachment 270660

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the replies, what puzzles me though is surely if something was worn the noise would be like it all the time? But it only appears after a few days of driving? The when I don't drive the car for a week or so the noise will go but as soon as I start using it a lot the noise will be back

Yeah, that's the way they are. They squeak more if used more. It doesn't mean they're worn out though. I went to the Opentracker roller UCAs, not because I race the car or anything, but just because I don't want to have that sqeak EVER come back. I agree it's very embarassing.

I've just been out for a quick drive then back at the garage I was looking at the problem again and the noise is almost definitely coming from the shock itself because I had the hood open and was bouncing the car up and down with my ear to the top of the shock tower, exactly where the arrow is pointing in my picture, and the noise is right at the top almost to the point where I thought it may be one of the bolts that is the culprit, definitely no lower, the best I can describe the noise is like a rusty bed spring, it makes the noise the most when you push the car right down then when I gradually let it creep up it squeaks/creaks really loud, my Dad is putting it over the pit this afternoon and is going to try the greasing route and i'll go from there

All sorted, the problem was due to a dry bearing on the upper A arm, it was bone dry when it was dismantled(blanked grease point) which explains the noise, all the suspension components on it seem to be the original Fomoco ones, such a relief to get rid of that noise after all these years, thanks for your help everyone