Loud Squeak From Right Front End

EdO

Apr 17, 2017
Hello Folks!

I was hoping this group can shed some light on a problem I've started having with my 66 Mustang (Inline 6, MS/DB). Very much a stock setup. I recently started hearing (feeling) a pretty loud squeak coming from the right front end of the car. It is very intermittent and comes and goes every so often, but when if happens it's pretty loud. Generally comes a slower speeds but again you can't get it to happen by say swerving or breaking and accelerating just happens when it wants to. I took it into the local shop but we couldn't get it to happen after 10-15 minutes of driving.

UCA, Shocks, wheel bearing? I would rather get some idea of what it is here before I take it somewhere and have them charge me for all the time if would take to figure out what it is. I understand some things need to really be heard and felt first hand, but please let know if anyone has any ideas here. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Grease all the fittings on your front end and see if that helps. Also grease your swaybar bushings. Normally when you get that squeaking noise it's time for upper and lower ball joints.

Upper control arm bushings and spring insulators are the most common but could be any mentioned above. In addition to greasing everything I would saturate all points with wd40 that doesn't have a grease fitting. Don't forget to grease the upper control arm bushing caps though. A lot of people overlook those.

^^ You can grease the upper control arm bushing if you can get a grease gun fitting on them and they have fittings installed. A previous owner of my 67 very cut access whole in the shock towers to get access to the grease fittings. I will be fixing this in the future and put on some 90 degree fittings when I get around to rebuilding the front end.