Low Battery Voltage

blackcloud50

Mar 30, 2005
I have a fairly new Delco Battery (under a year old). Last time I drove my car was 3 weeks ago.

Went to start my car and all I got was getting was one loud click from the starter solenoid. Proceeded to check battery voltage to measure 12.02

So I jumped the car and got it to start and then measured my voltage again to get 14.7 I then let car run for a good 15 minutes and kept rpms up to 2000. Came back the next day to check voltage and I got a reading of 12.19

Car was able to start and after letting it run for a while I disconnected the battery. Came back the next day to check voltage and I got a reading of 12.51

Then I checked current draw with my multimeter to see if I had a parastic load on the battery but got a reading of .010 amps (10 milliamps) which is OK.

Reconnected the battery and checked voltage the next day to get a reading of 12.16

Does it appear that my battery has a problem?

• Sponsors (?)

Reads like so......one test missing, a battery test under load. Check voltage while cranking the engine, if it drops below 10.5vdc after 3 consecutive tests....get it replaced....it should be under warranty though. My 2¢.

most autoparts stores will run a test of entire voltage system including battery and tell you whats wrong for free there dependable if you want a second opinion go to the next auto parts store.i like using advance autoparts or oreillys autoparts for these tests.....

Agreed with Joel. It is difficult for shadetree folks to measure deep amperage at home.

One other thing is to make sure the battery and motor ground connections are sound. I found it a little weird that jumping the solenoid worked but the first time it didnt start (when you used the key).

In my experience, when getting a clunk the first time, but it cranks the subsequent times, that can be a cable issue (esp grounds).

Good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
Agreed with Joel. It is difficult for shadetree folks to measure deep amperage at home.

One other thing is to make sure the battery and motor ground connections are sound. I found it a little weird that jumping the solenoid worked but the first time it didnt start (when you used the key).

In my experience, when getting a clunk the first time, but it cranks the subsequent times, that can be a cable issue (esp grounds).

Good luck.

Never jumped the solenoid. I gave the car a jump start. All connections are solid.