Progress Thread Low budget 89 LX build, Car is apart again

• Sponsors (?)

Nice work!!!!! but I noticed you didn't coat the inside with anything before you weld it up... when I did mine, I blasted it to bare, and used por15 inside.... then once it was all together, I used the Eastwood internal frame coating to coat all inside of the frame rails... and I did a lot of coats... don't want it rusting in there no more... in fact I've sprayed a s-ton of that stuff in all of the rails from front to back... and even re-coated it again this year... (figure I would do this every couple of years, just for insurance...)
I painted inside the rail with Rust-Oleum before I welded the top cap back on, just no pics. When it's all done I have a rust proofing wand at work, it will be dripping from every hole there is.

I painted inside the rail with Rust-Oleum before I welded the top cap back on, just no pics. When it's all done I have a rust proofing wand at work, it will be dripping from every hole there is.

cool, I hope that was the case, hate to think you did all that work and didn't.... I'm sooooo sick of rust..... lol

Reactions: 1 user
I finished welding the other pieces tonight, it still needs some more cleanup before it's ready for paint
IMG_20200121_202043527 (1).jpg

I spent a few minutes working on some thing else, I can only cut grind and weld so much and I get burned out. I snagged this electric fan awhile back, it was just going to get tossed out at work, one of the braces on the shroud is broken, no big deal, but the customers car got a new one. It came off of a 2018 Dodge Challenger, it was just a V6, but a quick Google of the part number says they use the same fan on all of them, even the Hellcat, so it should cool my car just fine.

IMG_20200121_201720160 (1).jpg

Once I cut the factory mounting tabs off, it fits a Fox radiator like it was made for it. It should be pretty easy to fab up a mounting bracket.
IMG_20200121_201954705_HDR (1).jpg
What are the dimensions of that fan?

Well everybody, I guess it's time to update this thread. I got my sons Scion project finished, he drove that POS Pt cruiser for a few weeks while we fixed his car, then I sold the Pt for a nice profit. I also bought another car from a co-worker, made a few repairs on it and sold it also, so I've been in parts buying mode here lately with my new found riches. But I have made some more progress on the Rustang.

Now, don't bust my balls about not totally painting and detailing everything under the hood, I've said before I'm not building a show car, I don't care what it looks like under the hood, and this would just be somebody else's parts car.

Here is the passenger side all cleaned up and with a coat of self etching primer.
IMG_20200215_161821759.jpg

And here it is with a couple of coats of paint, yes that's just white Rustoleum
IMG_20200215_174644107 (1).jpg

Then it was time to start on the other side, it wasn't really that bad so I decided not to use my donor section. I cut the rusted part of the rail and strut tower away, I cleaned up everything inside and painted the inside of the rail with POR 15. I don't have any pics, forgot my phone that day.
I made a patch for the strut tower and welded it in.
IMG_20200223_115327077 (1).jpg

Then I made a piece for the frame rail, I sprayed self etching primer on the bare metal before I welded the patch in
IMG_20200223_132006439 (1).jpg

I had 1 small area on the other side of the rail that needed some attention
image (1).jpg

More in the next post, 5 pic limit.

Reactions: 5 users
I gave everything on the drivers side a coat of POR 15,
IMG_20200223_151532736 (1).jpg

IMG_20200223_151546256 (1).jpg

Once the POR 15 was dry, I scuffed it and gave it a coat of white Rustoleum, of course, no pic.

All in all I'm happy with how it came out, I'm ready to start putting this thing back together, then some quick body work and a paint job, my free paint's expiration date is coming up quick, 3/31/2020.

Reactions: 8 users
Looking good GRavydog. Kinda makes me wish I kept my Notch, not as bad as that one is though. Hows there floor and pillars? Hows the rest of the car?

Looking good GRavydog. Kinda makes me wish I kept my Notch, not as bad as that one is though. Hows there floor and pillars? Hows the rest of the car?
Thanks, the floor had a couple of spots, the drivers seat mounts were cracked on the floo,r one of them was totally ripped out, I fixed all of that when I first got it, it was almost impossible to drive that way. The pillars are pretty good, the drivers side needs a small patch at the bottom. All in all the rest of the car is in pretty good shape.

Time for another update, I've been working on the car here and there, but life keeps getting in the way. I got the K-member back in last week, I wanted to have the engine and transmission back in over the weekend, but nothing was going right, so it was time to walk away. I did manage to get everything ready though, I wanted to install a steel bearing retainer on the T5, the factory one had some wear on it, and I figure it would be a good upgrade, but when I went to swap it, the bearing race wouldn't fit. After some head scratching and some Google-fu I realized someone has swapped a 4 cylinder T5 into my car. After some more Googling and decoding the door trim tag, I now know that my car was originally an AOD car, oh well I'd rather have the T5. So for now the 4 banger trans is going back in as is, the 3:95 first gear should be a blast when I put the 3:73's in the rear. I will probably swap to a 99-04 v6 T5 later, I'll watch Pull-a-part for one, what really sucks is the car I cut the rails and strut towers out off had one, but it's been crushed.
Anyhow, I put the correct pilot bearing for the 4 cyl trans in the crank, installed the new flywheel and clutch, bolted the engine and tranny together, and had some time so I put it all back in the car tonight. I'm hoping to have it running and driving this weekend, then I can get back to bodywork.
Here's the only pic I've taken lately, kind of a victory picture.
IMG_20200304_200314199 (1).jpg

I'm running out of motivation on this project, but the bodywork and paint should go pretty quick if I can make myself work on it.

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 5 users
Time for another update, I've been working on the car here and there, but life keeps getting in the way. I got the K-member back in last week, I wanted to have the engine and transmission back in over the weekend, but nothing was going right, so it was time to walk away. I did manage to get everything ready though, I wanted to install a steel bearing retainer on the T5, the factory one had some wear on it, and I figure it would be a good upgrade, but when I went to swap it, the bearing race wouldn't fit. After some head scratching and some Google-fu I realized someone has swapped a 4 cylinder T5 into my car. After some more Googling and decoding the door trim tag, I now know that my car was originally an AOD car, oh well I'd rather have the T5. So for now the 4 banger trans is going back in as is, the 3:95 first gear should be a blast when I put the 3:73's in the rear. I will probably swap to a 99-04 v6 T5 later, I'll watch Pull-a-part for one, what really sucks is the car I cut the rails and strut towers out off had one, but it's been crushed.
Anyhow, I put the correct pilot bearing for the 4 cyl trans in the crank, installed the new flywheel and clutch, bolted the engine and tranny together, and had some time so I put it all back in the car tonight. I'm hoping to have it running and driving this weekend, then I can get back to bodywork.
Here's the only pic I've taken lately, kind of a victory picture.
IMG_20200304_200314199 (1).jpg

I'm running out of motivation on this project, but the bodywork and paint should go pretty quick if I can make myself work on it.

Keep at it brother! I don’t have half the skills you have, and I keep at it. Yeah, I have to do the walk away thing every once in a while, but when you come back and things go right, it lights the fire all over again!! If only I had known the “walk away” 25 years ago. Back then I knew the “keep at it til you break it more”!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Keep at it brother! I don’t have half the skills you have, and I keep at it. Yeah, I have to do the walk away thing every once in a while, but when you come back and things go right, it lights the fire all over again!! If only I had known the “walk away” 25 years ago. Back then I knew the “keep at it til you break it more”!!!
Thanks, I've been doing this stuff for the last 25 yrs, 6 months ago I moved into the office, still do a little out in the shop, but I'm pretty much burned out on working on cars. When playing with this one isn't fun, and feels like work, I have to go do something else for a while. Once the nice weather is here and I can hop on my bike to clear my head I should be good.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks, I've been doing this stuff for the last 25 yrs, 6 months ago I moved into the office, still do a little out in the shop, but I'm pretty much burned out on working on cars. When playing with this one isn't fun, and feels like work, I have to go do something else for a while. Once the nice weather is here and I can hop on my bike to clear my head I should be good.

My job that pays the bills (that if I left tomorrow I wouldn’t miss for a minute) is far from automotive work (I missed my calling). So this mustang is my stress relief. I really want it finished yesterday, but the more I do on it myself,the happier I get with it. I just wish I had more time to get into the garage, cause this car is what clears my head!

Reactions: 1 users
My job that pays the bills (that if I left tomorrow I wouldn’t miss for a minute) is far from automotive work (I missed my calling). So this mustang is my stress relief. I really want it finished yesterday, but the more I do on it myself,the happier I get with it. I just wish I had more time to get into the garage, cause this car is what clears my head!
For me, I'd rather drive it than work on it, that's why I'm not going overboard and cleaning and painting every piece of the car I touch, it will never get done that way. Everyone else sees a rusty old car with worn out paint, but I see a time machine, when I'm behind the wheel, I'm 16 again, and every time I take it out, I flog it for everything it's got!

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 4 users
I had almost the exact same thing happen to my '86 GT. The original T-5 bit the dust—previous owner had put gear oil in it rather than the required ATF—I bought a used T-5 from someone on a local forum that I was told had been removed from an '88 GT. I found out it was a 4-cylinder T-5 same way as you: went to install a steel bearing retainer and it didn't fit. I was a broke kid at the time and just had to run that transmission. I had 3.55 gears in the car at the time. First gear was practically useless.

Reactions: 1 user
I had almost the exact same thing happen to my '86 GT. The original T-5 bit the dust—previous owner had put gear oil in it rather than the required ATF—I bought a used T-5 from someone on a local forum that I was told had been removed from an '88 GT. I found out it was a 4-cylinder T-5 same way as you: went to install a steel bearing retainer and it didn't fit. I was a broke kid at the time and just had to run that transmission. I had 3.55 gears in the car at the time. First gear was practically useless.
Yeah, I'm probably going to hold off on the 3:73's for now, till I find another tranny.