Progress Thread Low budget 89 LX build, Car is apart again

• Sponsors (?)

Stock 10-holes were machined finish with a plasticized clearcoat. They are very similar to the finish of 94-97 cobra wheels.
Less of a polished look and more of a freshly machined look.

Those came out awesome

Always wondered what a 17” version would look like. LMR does make a 15x9” 10-hole

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Wheels of the ten hole variety never turn out like that. Mine have a coating and look terrible thats why they are on the side of my house. Those look better than good, and I hate those things. Harbor Freight has great polishing solutions for cheap . I was looking at the Mothers polish ball for forty bucks and found the same part as yourself. Great tool for all polishing needs. Cant wait too see that all together , although I would have kept the trim pieces white. Spoiler looks great enough to sell it for eight thousand.
Nope, black trim was the way to go.

• Agree
My 10 holes don't have clear on them, someone had to strip them at some point, I'm glad they did, less work for me. I would love to have some different wheels, but I spent that money on heads, cam, and intake.
Anyhow, it's all back together, I'm using it as a parts runner today, getting my truck ready for our Vacation in a couple of weeks. Just a couple of quick pics, I'll get some better ones later.
IMG_20200516_081152688.jpg

IMG_20200516_124506608.jpg

IMG_20200516_124527145_HDR.jpg

• Hell Yeah!
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
My 10 holes don't have clear on them, someone had to strip them at some point, I'm glad they did, less work for me. I would love to have some different wheels, but I spent that money on heads, cam, and intake.
Anyhow, it's all back together, I'm using it as a parts runner today, getting my truck ready for our Vacation in a couple of weeks. Just a couple of quick pics, I'll get some better ones later.
IMG_20200516_081152688.jpg

IMG_20200516_124506608.jpg

IMG_20200516_124527145_HDR.jpg

What kind of lift do you have under the Mustang?

WTF no tailpipes?? I thought it was missing something , like mud flaps . Budget build does not like $225.
Needs tail pipes
Just say'n
I have them, just haven't put them on yet, didn't want to risk getting overspray on them. Ok, that's a lie, the previous owner hacked them up, they had tried to weld straight pipes where the mufflers were, so I have to clean them up, but they are going on very soon, I don't like the dumped exhaust.

• Hell Yeah!
What kind of lift do you have under the Mustang?
It's a Norco midrise, it looks weird in that pic because the car is actually on the jackstands. I was putting the moldings on, I wanted the car to be on the suspension because it flexs so much, when it's on the lift the doors don't open right, so I slid the stands under the rear axle and the front control arms. If you go back to the beginning of this thread, someone else asked about the lift and I showed it in better detail.

So when it's on the lift the doors don't open right?
Where does the lift contact to lift it?
I find this disturbing because of the amount of flex it takes to make the doors a problem, this is not a convertible.
The lift pads sit on the flat rail that is welded to the floor, and the rear torque boxes right in front of the lower control arm mounts. It doesn't flex a lot, just enough that the doors give a little pop when you open them. Definitely not like a convertible, I know what you mean there.

Update time, I've been driving the car for the last week, I charged the air conditioning at work on Monday, someone already converted it to 134a, and I'm happy that it works great! This morning I decided I was done listening to the dumped exhaust, so I tackled the tailpipe project, basically I had to cut off the mess the last guy made, and weld some new pipe on to attach them to the mufflers. It sounds awesome, and the car is way more enjoyable to drive. I also replaced the rear shocks while I was back there.
This is what I started with, these were on the car when I got it, they had tried to weld straight pipes in place of the mufflers.
IMG_20200519_201923970.jpg

IMG_20200519_201932109.jpg
IMG_20200519_201951628.jpg

My welds are a little better, and they don't leak. I hate welding under the car.
IMG_20200525_132111260.jpg

IMG_20200525_132114894.jpg

Reactions: 3 users