Low Coolant Light

noel cosio

Jul 8, 2014
Hello everyone im new here i have a 1991 gt hatchback and my low coolant light comes off and on from time to time. My radiator is full of coolant and doesnt go down. However about every week or so my resevoir tank has to be refilled.. is that normal? I know that this is a common issue but i just want to be sure if since my radiator stays full but my reserve doesnt.is the water circulating? My thermostat is normal no over heating. Whatsoever there are no leaks do i need to change the water pump?

• Sponsors (?)

There is a leak from somewhere. Coolant expands and fills the overflow tank when the engine warms up. When the engine cools off and coolant contracts, coolant is pulled via vacuum back in to the radiator. The low coolant light works from the sensor in the cap on the overflow tank. So, yes the coolant is circulating. If you did NOT fill the overflow tank, your radiator would eventually run dry. You shouldn't just change the water pump because that may not be where the leak is from. If you don't mind filling the tank regularly, it's not hurting anything (other than the environment). The easiest thing to remove is the coolant overflow tank (two 5/16" bolts I think), take that off and thoroughly check it for leaks. If that's not leaking, than you'll have to move on to something else. Hoses, radiator, head or intake gaskets, etc. If it was your heater core you would probably notice problems with your windshield fogging up and you would smell coolant inside the car. Obviously, you could also thoroughly check under the car after you drive to see if you can find coolant leaking. Also, white smoke out the exhaust is a tell-tale sign of coolant/water getting burned in the combustion chamber and would likely mean a head gasket leak.

Thank you ill make sure to check the reserve tank i think thatll be it i dont think its a hose theres no white smoke and my car doesnt smell like coolant its just strange because ive checked under neath the car ive even laid out card board to monitor it and it doesnt look like anything leaks. I think i did notice a crack in the reserve around where it bolts on though so ill double check thanks again