low coolant sensor

lmpbzkt492

Apr 13, 2003
My low coolant light keeps coming on but everytime I check the level of the coolant it is fine which tells me that the sensor is probably broke. Should changing this sensor be a priority or is it something that could wait??Is it sending any signals to my car causing it to run differently??

• Sponsors (?)

as far as i know, it has nothing to do with the car's computer. just an idiot light. you could probably troubleshoot the switch, and even rig it to shut the light off (also disabling the light too though) if it annoys you (it would me).

good luck.

wow, that is definetly wierd. I disconnected mine when I put my new radiator in and drove with no reservour for about a week, and no light. If I plug it in (with no water) the light goes on. Possibly some of these sensors work differently.

The low coolant sensor has three wires:

Red = key on +12v

Green = floating or about +12v coolant level is ok, grounded level is low

Black = common or ground

If the light stays on when the sensor is disconnected you may have the green wire grounded somewhere or the dash circuit is messed up.

Good Luck, Don

I have the same problem. It sporadically used to come on only when it was cold outside in the mornings. If I drove for 5 minutes, shut it off and turned it back on, it wouldn't come back on.

Now that I had the coolant changed since it was due by the dealer, it comes on sporadically even if it isn't cold outside and sometimes even comes on when I've been driving for 1 hour. I always check and the coolant level is fine.