low mile,all original 7up, should I upgrade it or not?

• Sponsors (?)

Nice car. Upgrade away. If you are driving it, the value don’t matter
I to want lower gears in my 7-up with 40k, I did change the wheels, couldn’t leave them alone. Soon to bet replacing valve covers with polished aluminum. Also having trouble getting enough lead in my ass to release the rear cushion so I can fix quarter window motor.

Attachments

• 384F1E79-3279-422B-8A32-F57ACBED3FB9.jpeg
    384F1E79-3279-422B-8A32-F57ACBED3FB9.jpeg
    499.4 KB · Views: 116
  • 0BB89740-4DE2-4D75-85BF-DF4B8F0419F3.jpeg
    0BB89740-4DE2-4D75-85BF-DF4B8F0419F3.jpeg
    254 KB · Views: 126
It is looking to me like I should do both the gears and the sub frame connectors... I'm from the Green Bay area of Wisconsin, can anyone recommend a trustworthy shop to do the connectors? The gears or axle?

Find the best body shop in your area to install those. The car has to have all the weight on the wheels. The best thing to use is a drive on frame machine.

If you change to a lower rear gear, the speedometer and odometer will run fast. That will clock more mileage than is actually being driven. Correct me if I’m wrong but that will have a negative affect on the value of the car. The speedometer running fast will be a nuisance

For the AOD, you’de have to pull the transmission and disassemble it to change the speedo ratio correctly. You likely would need to swap to a different output shaft with different number of teeth. AOD’s came with two different geared output shafts. The one made for lower ratios like 3.73 is rare these days. If you can find one, changing the output shaft will require complete disassembly and re-assembly of the transmission.

It is looking to me like I should do both the gears and the sub frame connectors... I'm from the Green Bay area of Wisconsin, can anyone recommend a trustworthy shop to do the connectors? The gears or axle?

Fo
Find the best body shop in your area to install those. The car has to have all the weight on the wheels. The best thing to use is a drive on frame machine.

For the connectors at least.

If you change to a lower rear gear, the speedometer and odometer will run fast. That will clock more mileage than is actually being driven. Correct me if I’m wrong but that will have a negative affect on the value of the car. The speedometer running fast will be a nuisance

For the AOD, you’de have to pull the transmission and disassemble it to change the speedo ratio correctly. You likely would need to swap to a different output shaft with different number of teeth. AOD’s came with two different geared output shafts. The one made for lower ratios like 3.73 is rare these days. If you can find one, changing the output shaft will require complete disassembly and re-assembly of the transmission.

You can change the speedo driven gear. When I had my AOD with 3.73s, I believe the correct gear was a purple 21-tooth speedo gear.

https://lmr.com/products/Mustang-Sp...MI2trIjezU4AIVw5yzCh3LiQ8JEAAYAiAAEgKE2vD_BwE

To get to 3.73 calibration, you really need the correct number of teeth on the output shaft. You can get closer with a plastic driven gear only. But by the time you add that many teeth to the plastic gear, they get really thin and don’t last long.

I too have a 7-up. Just turned 40k. I’d like to have lower gears, it’s an AOD with 2.73. This is my fourth Foxbody. Can’t help myself from doing some minor changes, like wheels and tires. Next plan is to replace valve covers with polished aluminum. I hope to stop at that, Oh yeah, shorty headers. I hate looking at those tiny pinched up OEM’s.

Attachments

• 060F0773-ACEB-44B3-8E82-E196A85B00F0.jpeg
    060F0773-ACEB-44B3-8E82-E196A85B00F0.jpeg
    499.4 KB · Views: 127
  • 51211F5A-3DCF-4511-98AA-582185A5A631.jpeg
    51211F5A-3DCF-4511-98AA-582185A5A631.jpeg
    254 KB · Views: 105
On a day right after a blizzard and a morning of blowing snow, one cannot hardly NOT dream about spinning the tires with the top down on a 75 degree day! Thanks for all the replies, much to think about.

That's a beautiful car you got there. I bet you get alot of attention and compliments while driving it. I'd be satisfied with that alone, especially for a low mileage gem like that. Once you start modding these things, it's hard to stop. It's your car so do what you want with it, but I recommend you think really hard before you start taking it apart for no other reason than a "little more pep".

If you want good pep, buy another Foxbody that someone else spent too much on. Their loss will be your advantage. And you can always sell it later on.

And by the way, highway gears are really nice on a longer road trip. Rollin along at 75 mph and the motor relaxing at 2000rpm. It can be nice.

John, thinking about what you’ve said, I have reconsidered a few things. I am a purist with most old cars, but with the foxbody it is sure easy to get carried away. I have my stock wheels and new rubber in pristine condition stored. The valve cover gaskets after 29 years need replaced, hence why I bought the new polished aluminum to enhance the engine compartment. I stop here. No gears, no shorties, finished! I like the idea of another one to play with, I wish the insurance wasn’t so high on them. Thanks for the tip. I’ll continue to enjoy the 20mpg.

Reactions: 1 user
John, thinking about what you’ve said, I have reconsidered a few things. I am a purist with most old cars, but with the foxbody it is sure easy to get carried away. I have my stock wheels and new rubber in pristine condition stored. The valve cover gaskets after 29 years need replaced, hence why I bought the new polished aluminum to enhance the engine compartment. I stop here. No gears, no shorties, finished! I like the idea of another one to play with, I wish the insurance wasn’t so high on them. Thanks for the tip. I’ll continue to enjoy the 20mpg.

Call Hagerty Insurance. You will be surprised at how affordable it can be with collector insurance on them.

Good move. There’s plenty of hacked foxbodys out there and you can gain from someone else’s loss. You can undo the hackery, or continue without fret

Reactions: 1 user
I now have Hagerty ins and have for years. They are the best, no doubt! Still high since a corvette quote is near the same. These were once performance cars but today a family sedan can whoop your stock 5.0. I guess the rates are set on numerical occurrences. Safety wise, it’s sure nice to look out at that slim A pillar compared to my wife’s SUV with about 14 airbags stuffed in there blocking about 8-10” vision. Also, just thinking, my rate is probably high due to value set at price paid. Oh well, I love the 7-Up. I saw one in a photo about three years ago, love at first sight, the first live one I found was mine. The deep emerald green and white leather, of course 5.0 did it. My 4th 5.0 fox body, 3 convertible and one T top. My favorite was a black on black LX 5.0 conv with 5 spd and 3.08 rear. Ex wife snagged that one in a divorce. I sure miss that car!

Been thinking about this as I watch the snow come down... I've owned many, many cars that have needed MUCH help to keep them on the road, including a Mercedes 500SL (that is a whole nother story! ha ha). I really think that I just can't change this car and wil leave it as a piece of history, drive it enough to keep it running correctly and to keep that great big grin on my face when I'm on the road! This car has a unique history and is completely documented and as much as I would love to make it "my own", I just don't think I can. Lots of great thoughts and I thank you for all of them,especially John Dirks. When I dig the old girl out of storage in the next month or so, I'll take some more pictures and get them on here.

Reactions: 1 users
Life's to short to worry about the potential value of a car in the future. Could the 7-UP cars bring $25-$30k to the right buyer in prime condition? Maybe. But I doubt it.

Just have fun with your car! In the end, do what makes you happy. You don't seem like you are going to get rid of the car anytime soon, enjoy life. There were over 4,000 of them made.

Life's to short to worry about the potential value of a car in the future. Could the 7-UP cars bring $25-$30k to the right buyer in prime condition? Maybe. But I doubt it.

Just have fun with your car! In the end, do what makes you happy. You don't seem like you are going to get rid of the car anytime soon, enjoy life. There were over 4,000 of them made.

Agreed. I wanted to keep mine stock but that didn't last long. The fact is in stock form these cars don't stop, don't turn, and don't accelerate compared to the later Mustangs. I modified my car to make it more fun for ME to drive. I've done nothing that couldn't be reversed if somehow the car became worth tons of money in stock form.

I would do the gears. They will add lots to the fun factor of the car, and no one would ever know if you didn't tell them. I would do the sub frame connectors to preserve the structure of the unibody of the car. Both can be changed back in no time.

Agreed. I wanted to keep mine stock but that didn't last long. The fact is in stock form these cars don't stop, don't turn, and don't accelerate compared to the later Mustangs. I modified my car to make it more fun for ME to drive. I've done nothing that couldn't be reversed if somehow the car became worth tons of money in stock form.

I would do the gears. They will add lots to the fun factor of the car, and no one would ever know if you didn't tell them. I would do the sub frame connectors to preserve the structure of the unibody of the car. Both can be changed back in no time.
I totally agree.