Engine Low/rough Idle At Warm Start

tca7291

I can see your wieners.
5 Year Member
Sep 1, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Ok, have had my new '87 LX 5.0 T-5 for a few weeks now. The car is 100% stock, except for maintenance stuff and newer mufflers. I just did an ignition tune up, and had to replace the TFI, but was having this issue prior to the work. When I fire her up when cold, she idles a little slow, but smooth, roughly 600-700rpm according to the stock tach. After I drive her for any length of time (warmed up) she tends to idle around 700-800rpm, but if I shut her off, and do a warm start up she seems to want to idle around 400-500 and surges and often stalls unless I give it gas, but if I hold my foot on the throttle for 20-30 sec. around 800-1000rpm then it goes back to idling around 700-800rpm. I pulled codes and all I got was a code for one of the solenoids on the air pump stuff. Sorry for the lengthy post. Thanks for the help fellas!!

• Sponsors (?)

Not so much, she tends to surge a little, but won't really stall unless I put a light load on the engine (like turning the wheel or letting the clutch out). I can take a video later.

Can't remember exactly what code it was, I pulled them last weekend at my buddies house, I think it was 84, but can't remember exactly. I just remember looking it up and it being a solenoid code. And yes, did koeo and koer codes, both just flashed the same code, and no others besides system pass (11).

See the "Surging Idle Checklist” for help with all your idle/stall problems. You can guess at the problem and throw parts at it, or you can use the checklist to help you find the problem quickly and inexpensively. The checklist is right here in the Stangnet 5.0 Tech forum and you don’t have navigate to some other unknown web site. It‘s free and doesn’t cost anything: at last count there were more than 103,000 visits and still climbing

The quick and easy way to dump the codes is in there too, and all you need to do it is a paper clip! The first two posts contain all the fixes & updates. At last count there were 24 possible causes and fixes for surging idle/stall problems. I continue to update it as more people post fixes or ask questions.