Lower control arm HELP!!

I started removing suspension parts today, but I cannot get the lower control arm apart from the spindle. The nut is loosened at the ball joint, the upper ball joint is finished. I have hit, pryed, lubed, stared at it, etc., but nothing is going to get it loose. I only need to reuse the spindle everything else is being replaced.

HELP!! Advice or ideas accepted.

• Sponsors (?)

As I recall when I did mine I had to use a pickle fork. Mine was in there tight too. The Mustang Restoration Handbook recommends a pickle fork or hammering on the bolt. So if hammering on the bolt doesn't work go to plan b and get a pickle fork. Especially if you only need to save the spindles.

the pullers SUCK i just wanted to say that! i broke 2 and striped another out of the kit i got from auto zone. i perfer a pickel fork any day. its a definate way to screw up your ball joints , and it will trash your control valve. i was replacing my ball joints anyway and had a back-up control vavle for my core. if your replacing the ball joints, i would definately use a pickel fork! if you need them, was a puller, but good luck!

just an idea.... maybe you could gently heat the spindle with a propane torch, not hot enough to hurt anything, but just heat it up a bit. Then put an ice cube on the ball joint bolt only and then try your various methods of beating the hell out of it. If the spindle is heated, the hole will expand slightly, and then if you cool the bolt, it might be just enough to get them apart. i've used this method to get a stuck flywheel off a dritbike crankshaft.

:shrug:

wow, you broke it......now i've heard everything!!!
dynamite..yep time for dynamite...no. c4, yep that'll do it c4

it you broke it off and all you have is the ball joint hanging, man that thing must have been on there. i must have used my pickel fork on at least 2 dozen joints. it must be seized on. i would try a small torch.like above mentioned. keep us up to date! you got me curious.

67GTA-FB429 said:
So I got the pickle fork....broke it and the ball joint is still stuck in the spindle. I am going to try a ball joint puller next.....

Take it back to where ever you bough tit and demand a replacement because of the crappy POS they sold you.

Then remember when using the pickle fork you drive it through the lower control arm and spindle by hammering on the round end of it with the open end wedged between....you do not wedge it and then start hammering down on it.

67GTA-FB429 said:
GOT IT!! The tie-rod puller worked. It let go with a very loud snap. I was about to quit and gave the ratchet one last pull...I was ready to quit and go buya torch and start searching for a new spindle.

Thanks for the help and advice.

Yeah, the puller worked for me (but apparently not for others)

The tie rod puller was a little akward on the spindle, as the one I used had a fixed opening sized for a tie rod which was larger than the spindle, but even just catching it with one leg of the puller and taking my time, I was able to get it to pop free.

[i guess this post is a little late but another option os to heat the spindle with a propane torch and melt a candle (or some other kind of wax) into the hole where the balljoint stud goes this should lube the area enough to get the stud out, this trick also works well on stuck bolts, etc.